Which Light Please

zoeb2912

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi

I currently have an Arcadia original tropical light, FO15, 18", Plant growth tube.

Tank and light is second hand, dont know how long the light has been in there so I am going to replace it on Saturday.

Which light would be best for me to get?

Are reflectors any good?

My plants are Elodea Densa, Cabomba, Duck weed, Water Lettuce, Water Sprite Fern and Blyxa Japonica.
I also will be adding Java Fern, Anubias and maybe some others.

I dont have co2 and will be getting something like Flourish at the weekend.

Tank is 15g/57L 

Thanks

This fluorescent is T8, presumably?  I would suggest a Hagen Life-Glo 6700K, or ZooMed UltraSun 6500K.  I've experience with these over single-tube tanks and they give more intensity for the size than cheaper tubes.

Byron.

Thanks for your reply.

How do I know if its a t5 or t8?

zoeb2912 said:
Thanks for your reply.

How do I know if its a t5 or t8?

At one end of the tube it should have this.  The pins are different so T8 does not fit T5 and vice-versa.  The tubes I mentioned do come in both T8 and T5.  Most standard tank covers with fluorescent lighting have been T8, but newer ones might be T5.  I am assuming T8 here also because the "15" is likely 15 watts, and this is what 18-inch T8 tubes come in.

Byron.

Thanks

I couldnt get what you suggested so I got, Interpet Tropical Daylight T8PRO. 

It says its 680 Lumen, 7000 H and 16000 Kelvin.

What type of light would this be considered? High or Low light?

x

zoeb2912 said:
Thanks

I couldnt get what you suggested so I got, Interpet Tropical Daylight T8PRO. 

It says its 680 Lumen, 7000 H and 16000 Kelvin.

What type of light would this be considered? High or Low light?

x

From what I can find online about this tube, it is probably sufficient intensity.  My concern would be the colour temperature at 16,000K which is very cool (high in blue, very low in red).  Plants need red too, and I'm not sure but that this tube might make the tank look very cold and sort of spectral.  If you can return this, try to find something with around 5000K to 7000K, ideally around 6500K.

Byron.

Hi Byron 

I managed to get the Hagen Life-Glo 6700K and have installed it, I know this is the right light for my plants but my tank now has a green tinge, I am not really happy with the overall colour.

Is there any way I could add another tube? What would be the best tube to buy to give a better viewing colour.

Thanks

zoeb2912 said:
Hi Byron 

I managed to get the Hagen Life-Glo 6700K and have installed it, I know this is the right light for my plants but my tank now has a green tinge, I am not really happy with the overall colour.

Is there any way I could add another tube? What would be the best tube to buy to give a better viewing colour.

Thanks

I know some do find this; I guess I'm just used to it.  Two tubes would be way over the top on a 15g tank, and you would have algae issues and stressed fish.  If you stay with the Hagen "Glo" series, the Sun-Glo might be workable.  This has a 4200K colour temp compared to the 6700K of the Life-Glo, so the tone will be warmer (more red, less blue).  The intensity should be sufficient, though I have never tried this particular tube.  Plants do best between 5000K and 7000K, and the "daylight" tubes around 6500K usually work well when there is just one tube.

The Kelvin number is the perceived colour temperature, and the lower the number the more red and less blue, while the higher the number the less red and more blue.  Around 6500K is close to the sun at mid-day.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back