Which Gourami To Get?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Shelster

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Gouramis are my favourite fish. I have a vision 180 litre tank. Wish I could figure out how to upload a photo from the iPad to show you all :-/ I have 5 pepper corys, Pakistani loach, 2 ancistrus, 6 harlequins, 9 glowlight tetras, 2 pearl danios and two phantom type of tetras (rescue) my ph normally runs nearer the acidic range 6.5 ish although I do use a buffer as I use RO water, just need to get adjustments correct. I want a splash more colour in my tank ie cardinal tetras or neon tetras but am waiting for my PH to lower through water changes first. Currently at 7-7.4 ish. I don't want a predatory gourami so unfortunately appreciate the fact that the hardier three spot or pearl Gouramis are ut of the question. I have discounted also the dwarf due to the skin type diseases they get. I preferably wanted a hardier type but know they are all out, so which would you suggest? And just one male or a few females? I have lots of swimming space free, and the aquarium is very well planted, I would upload a photo but think too many pixels?? Ha ha, no computer whizz :-/ advice very much appreciated and taken on board, thanks in anticipation! :)

Hello & welcome aboard!

Pearl Gouramis are one of the most docile types you will find, especially the females. They don't bother my Cherry Barbs or my Lemon Tetras. I've also kept them with Von Rios, Platys, Paradise Fish, Three Spot Gouramis, Corydoras, Otos & Bristlenose Plecos. In fact I've had Dwarf Gouramis that were more aggressive than these Pearls. You could try 2 females & a male no problem. If there's room you could even add another female. They would def. appreciate the plants!

I have two female and one male Pearl Gourami in my community tank, they get along just fine with all the fish in my signature

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure i never had trouble with my previous pearl in the community tank (but this was quite a few years ago) I was going on advice from the local fish store. I know when I purchased my harlequins, they had the bag sitting in the pearl gourami tank and they showed great interest to the fish in the bag. Perhaps I will wait until my shoaling fish grow a bit bigger, and then choose one of the smallest pearls. I understand what the fish store are saying, in that they would reduce the amount/type of fish I could stock my tank with in the future. The other option was the honey, although they a still not as hardy :-/ ill do some more homework, and I believe sexing the pearls is the finnage on the dorsal aspect being smaller, and duller colouration? Thanks again for the response.

I believe the thick lipped and banded gourami are supposedly reasonably robust and also peaceful, and they don't grow to big size.

Thick lipped are ~3.5-4" when adults, probably the same size as Pearls. For pearls, males have a redder throat, while their top fin is indeed longer and taller then females

May have a look at some honey gourami today from the lfs. If they can sex them for me I was hoping to get one male and either two or three females. Wll have another look at the pearls though, haven't seen any banded or thick lipped gourami so wouldn't be an option unfortunately. Again, thanks for advice

Most reactions

Back