Which fluval canister filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DonC

Reaction score
Hey I am looking for recommendations on which fluval canister filter for a 20 gallon high

What are you planning to stock. A canister may well be overkill on a 20G

Many get caught up in frankly useless data on filter flow. But the most important factor is, what fish are intended for the tank? And are plants included?

What are you planning to stock. A canister may well be overkill on a 20G
Well that’s the thing I am trying to decide between a single male beta with some tank mates or a pair of apistos with some dither fish. I am thinking the fluval 107 if I go with the beta and 207 if its the apistos and l do have a tidal 35 what do you think?
And low energy plants

Stick with the Tidal. You probably won't want it anywhere near its maximum flow rate for either species.

pxl_20230330_213354261-jpg.314829

My own mini review here. Its been running uninterrupted in this tank for almost 4 years - still only has a sponge but as I no longer have fish that require high flow its close to minimum flow now. Minimal maintenance on both the tank and filter during this time. Tank is a 20G and a bit of a mess because I have only just introduced the BN and she is still redecorating :eek:

Stick with the Tidal. You probably won't want it anywhere near its maximum flow rate for either species.

pxl_20230330_213354261-jpg.314829

My own mini review here. Its been running uninterrupted in this tank for almost 4 years - still only has a sponge but as I no longer have fish that require high flow its close to minimum flow now. Minimal maintenance on both the tank and filter during this time. Tank is a 20G and a bit of a mess because I have only just introduced the BN and she is still redecorating :eek:
Okay thanks the tidal it is!

Well that’s the thing I am trying to decide between a single male beta with some tank mates or a pair of apistos with some dither fish. I am thinking the fluval 107 if I go with the beta and 207 if its the apistos and l do have a tidal 35 what do you think?
And low energy plants

on the fish, no. Male bettas shouldnot be combined with other upper fish, this is asking for trouble. Apistogramma, a pair of some species can work, with small upper dither fish. Depends upon the species.

As for the filter, both these fish need minimal flow, as little as possible.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back