Which Fish To Choose........

itsmedeanna64

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Nov 27, 2005
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Georgia
Good Friday Morning!

I am very excited about my new 55 gallon tank. It's been fishless cycling for a week now. I am trying to decide which fish to put in it. My 29 g has rasboras, guppies, zebra danios and 1 rehomed hatchet fish, plus ghost shrimp and 2 apple snails. For this 55 I would like something different I've never tried. I am going to put my 5 zebras in this tank because they are so active I think they would be happier in this bigger tank, plus I know I want some shrimp and apples in this one too. Can ya'll give me some ideas on what I might try? I have thought about goramies but can only get males here from my lfs so I'm not sure if 2 males would be compatible. I also thought about a pair of angels. I do love all tetras too. and I would like to get some corys.

I guess what I'm wondering about is compatibility and I want to choose carefully. All of my fish are non aggressive and small and I would like something different in this new tank.

Thanks for any ideas ya'll might can give me!
 
Hope ya'll don't mind, but I'm gonna bump this up because I would REALLY like to have some ideas!

Anyone? :*) :look:

:no:
 
Hope ya'll don't mind, but I'm gonna bump this up because I would REALLY like to have some ideas!

Anyone? :*) :look:

:no:
well so areyou looking for nice fish? you said you where putting the danios in so that means u need " nice" fish... i think it would be cool to have nothing but a danio tank?

there are several types of danios and they could add color
like: pearl danios ( brachydanio albolineatus), leopard danio, ( brachydanio frankei), and giant danio( danio malabaricus)... you could also add a school of neontetras or cardinal tetras... when they school in a large tank they look awsome! and would go nce with the other danios.. also a about 3 corys and some other alge eater

thats just me... lots of live plants too ! it looks great in a larger tank! dont over stock !
 
I wouldnt put just 2 angels together because the biggest picks on the smaller one. I'd go for atleast 1 or 3+

Also, gourami's enjoy more than another one of their own kind so I don't know if 2 males would be alright. Maybe they would I'm not sure.

Maybe Tiger Barbs and Tinfoil Barbs, plus Blue, Gold, and Opaline Gouramis. Bala Sharks, Red Tail Sharks, Rainbow Sharks would temp you? I would also recomend a plec because they add such character! :)
 
Tinfoil Barbs and Bala Sharks!!!! They need to be kept in a group of there own and Bala Sharks grow to about a foot long!!! certainly study your fish before you suggest lol :P

Bret

Also a common or sailfin plec would get too big for that tank eventually and will need to eat off wood.
 
If you want an interesting fish with personality, go with a cichlid. You do get some which are peaceful. Keyhole cichlids for example. They become territorial when spawning but never vicious. They may not be the most colourful fish, but are absolutely lovely.

There are a number of dwarf cichlids you could get, and if choosing th right ones you will probably get 2 pairs int here easily. apisogramma cacatuoides are lovely, as are blue rams, laetacar curviceps.

The fact that you could only get male gouramis would put me off personally. I just prefer to keep my fish either in pairs or one male to several females (which depends entirely on the type of fish)

I would avoid the sharks as you will find they will either be aggressive or get too large. About the only ones I would recommend to you are flying foxes (true or false). Some people keep them in groups of a few, or one single. They are quite active and sweet. Well the false flying fox is anyway, as mine is a real sweet heart.

Some of the botia (loach) species might be a nice option. They are mostly playful, active fish with loads of personality. Clown laoches will get too big. Whereas many are nocturnal, most will get used to coming out during the day. About skunk loaches (botia horae i think) as are aggressive.

If you like tetras, why not look into emperor tetras, or penguin tetras?

As far as an algae eater goes, as always I will recommend a bristlenose catfish. They don't get too big and do a fair job of cleaning. otocinclus are also pretty good I guess, and probably the most docile, peaceful fish you will ever find.

Other cats you could look into are synodontis nigriventris (upside down catfish), or a whiptail catfish....

there are rainbowfish... celebes and boesemani for example. Rainbows are schooling fish and some can get a little big, so you would need to look into sizez and feasibility of a school.

Well, you wanted suggestions... think that is a fair list for you to look into :D
 

Most reactions

Back
Top