Which Fish Do You Find The Hardest To Catch?

scouse_andy

Fishaholic
Joined
Mar 29, 2007
Messages
506
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Abingdon, Oxfordshire.
I've just been rejigging the stock in my tanks quite a bit this afternoon and spent ages netting various species, some with considerably more ease than others. My large shoal of danio, who I wasn't even trying to catch, spent most of the time swimming in and out of the net at will.

After a lot of impromptu plant rearranging, I managed to net all the fish I was after apart from my Black Phantom Tetra, which must be amongst the most elusive fish ever. I didn't net a single one of my seven so have decided they will be staying put in my main tank.

I have also had great fun in the past trying to net kuhli loaches so I thought I'd ask the rest of you which fish do you have real difficulty in catching?
 
Zebra Danios can be hard to catch, while 5 of my 6 fish shoal, like yours, literally swam into the net. I still have the trickiest one seperated from his 5 tankmates due to my useless attempts to catch him. Whenever i put the net in he just dives to the bottom of the tank and waits there till i leave.
Aside from him it took me 3 days of laying pint glass/algae wafer traps to catch one of my Flying Foxes, although the other 2 were easy.
Hillstream Loaches can be buggers too if you don't want to remove all your decor.

On the other hand like your Danios my thick-lip gourami seem to swim into my net without a worry in the world and sometimes it certainly appears intentional.
 
My pleco was very difficult to catch when I moved him temporarily while I switched the gravel out for sand in his tank. His tankmate, an oscar, was surprisingly easy to catch, as he swam right into the net. (Both fish are about 8 inches.)
The smaller fish from the 10 gallons are easy enough to net, I usually use the big net and catch them before they realize what's going on........ snails I just pick up.
 
quote name='scouse_andy' post='1750366' date='Aug 31 2007, 05:25 PM']Oh great. One of the next fish I'm stocking is 3 Siamese Flying Foxes. :shout:[/quote]
WTF, erm computer playing up....
Anyhow they can be amazingly fast, if you get an active one that doesn't want to be caught you'll see for yourself.
(then again i may just not be that good at catching fish :dunno: )
 
Guppies were very hard for me, I was worrying also since they were barely an inch and look really delicate, but they aren't half fast.
 
I find that any fish that you are actually trying to get are hard to catch. Anything you don't want will just swim into the net!
 
Mahecola Barbs!!! IMPOSSIBLE!!!
 
Chinese Algae eaters - mind bogglingly fast - finally had to design a new solution because ordinary nets - forget it - an old curtain net and a wire coathanger and even then all plants and deco has to come out.
 
For me it would be my Pseudotropheus socolofi (an african cichlid) When I have to catch him it takes me HOURS, no matter what I do and how many people I have helping me. The other hardest is my black neon tetras.
 
when i first tryed neon tetras but now i can catch them easily, i dont know whether im getting better or there getting worse!
 
GOLD TETRAS! Better yet, most tetras... I was going to give them away to my LFS but spent a half an hour and couldn't catch ONE out of five so I gave up. :X
 

Most reactions

Back
Top