Which Fertiliser?

On the gripping hand I might just decide that I don't have the storage space for all the dry ferts and that I'm fundamentally lazy in which case I'll just buy more TPN+ :shifty:

Now now. We're not lazy, just when TPN+ costs me less than 50p per week on my 125 then I consider it cheap. Allied with the fact it works brilliantly I think it's worth the cost.

Which ever way you go its user's choice but I wouldn't call it lazy to use a proven fertiliser when you can see the results of people who do use it. :good:

Andy

Now now. We're not lazy, just when TPN+ costs me less than 50p per week on my 125 then I consider it cheap. Allied with the fact it works brilliantly I think it's worth the cost.
Maybe lazy isn't the correct word, it's the time/money balance and as you say because the money saved wont be a great deal it's probably easier to stick with the tried and trusted. How much are you dosing? Or do you have a cheaper supplier because that's less than I would be using on my tank which is a bit more than half the size of yours.

At the end of the day I think it's all down to experimentation and seeing what works best for you and your tank. :good:

As with all pre made ferts you have to strike a balance between the lights you have, the plants you have and the tank volume.

TPN+ should be 5ml per week per 50Ltrs which would mean in my 125Ltr tank I would dose 12.5ml per week. This would then mean it would last for 40weeks. At 14.75+2.95 postage per 500ml it would work out at 44p per week.

I dose 4ml daily so 28ml per week but yes you guessed it I buy a 5Ltr container therefore 5000ml wil last me 178 weekx. Zt 84.99+0 postage this would cost me 47p per week even though I am using more than twice the 'average' amount.

I dose 4ml because of my lighting being 1.5WPG T5HO which I would say is closer to the equivalent of 3WPG on the WPG scale. I have approx 90% substrate covered and am runing pressurised CO2 therefore the 'average' dose amount on the bottle wouldn't be enough for me.

Of course I don't store 5 Litres for over 3 years. I buy the 5 litres and then swap the rest, therefore I have approx 1Ltr (or a little less) in my cupboard which will last me for another 35 weeks and you can gues what I'll be asking for at christmas, he, he.

Andy

I did wonder about bulk creating the all-in-one mixture and seeing if I could sell it at about cost to other local planted tank enthusiasts, but as I said I'm fundamentally lazy... ;)

Thanks for all your help on this, you've been an absolute star.

Helen

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back