Which External Filter?

arobinson1984

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
2,065
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Leeds, United Kingdom
Hi, I currently have a jewul rio 125 litre tank, which I believe is around 27-28 UK gallons

I am looking to buy an external filter fo many reasons, I have read they are more effective, easier to maintain and also I wish to remove the internal filter housing that is currently in my tank to make the tank slightly larger.

I have never had an external filter so I'd like a little advice.

After reading around I decided to go for an eheim filter as they seem to be the bee's knees.

Do I go for the eheim classic 2213 or the professional 2222 model? Or is there another eheim model more suited to my tank?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy
 
If you are decided on an Eheim, both are good, if it was a choice between only an Eheim Classic or Eheim Professional, I would spend the same money as I would be spending on the Pro and get a bigger model of Classic (for more performance).

Being Eheims, both are very reliable, but the Classics have a much longer track record of success. However, they are less modern, and more annoying to set up and maintain.

If it's good filtration that your after, buy as big as model of the Classic series as you can.

If it's ease of use you want (and this is a good priority if you plan on low stocking levels and wont be turning it into a planted tank), than one of the Pro range is the best for you :good:.

What I'm trying to say is, out of the 2222 and the 2213, the 2222 is probably overall better - but for the same money its probably better to buy a 2215 or 2217 :).
 
Thanks for the reply.

I'll have a look at them 2, I hadn't looked at any bigger models as I wasn't sure if they would be too 'big' for my tank and cause too much disruption with the more powerful water flow.

Andy
 
Whilst I see what 3 fingers is saying, personally I'd go for the 2222 - at 500 litres an hour thats 4 times tank turnover, which is more than enough. As you've already said you don't want to create too much disturbance - not in a tank with gourami and a betta in it, which don't appreciate high flow. (On the subject of your stocking, if you notice the betta or guppies with fin damage they're probably scrapping with one another - and silver sharks need a) bigger numbers, min 3, ideally 5 and b) will outgrow your tank. Better to return them to your LFS for credit.)

If you're planning a bigger tank in the near future, by all means buy a classic with a higher capacity - its an investment in that sense, and you can do things to tone down the flow rate. If you're not though go for the Pro series - I'm sure someone on here can give you a list of reasons why they're an improvement on the classic.

Whatever you decide, pretty much any Eheim external is a good purchase.
 
I find that pretty much all the time, any concerns about too much water flow can be dismissed. More turnover is a good thing, and you can stop too much disturbance very easily by aiming the outflow and the side of the glass or fitting a spraybar. Even better, you could do both.

Trying to avoid disturbance at the cost of turnover rates and/or media volume is a compromise that is unnecessary IMO.
 
and you can do things to tone down the flow rate.

I agree Three, as quoted above. But why buy the lesser of two filters if the Pro version more than exceeds capacity, unless you're planning a tank upgrade? Having the bigger capacity then isn't going to make any difference.

I'm not going to go into the in's and out's of why a Pro's better than a Classic though - someone else who knows more about them than I do can do that if need be. I'm satisfied that the Pro is a better range, and unless you're planning a tank upgrade then, 'more than adequate' or 'much more than adequate' capacity mean the same thing.
 
It's just that wouldn't say the Classics are lesser, just depends on your preferences :good:. Personally, when it comes to filters, I fell very much that bigger=better. Even if it's not needed, it's better.

In other words, I dont think that
"More than adequate" or 'much more than adequate' capacity mean the same thing.
is the case. I feel it's like "better than adequate" then "even better than that".

Bigger filter because it helps with less time between maintenance (though in the case of the Classics, it's less simple when you have to do so), more stocking options and allows for more complex media configurations.

Faster flow rate because it can help a lot with mechanical filtration (that smaller filters just wouldn't do as well) and is going to be very useful if the OP later decides to have a planted tank or use the filter for a marine tank.

Personally (being cheap), I would go for another brand that offers the similar specs to the classics, but more modern and easier to maintain - for the same price or cheaper :shifty:.
 
Thanks for the replies guys,

I'll have a look at both and see which fit my needs the best.

I will be looking to get a 700-800 litre tank in the future but prob not for a couple of years so would probably buy another filter then anyway.

Regarding the stocking, all the fish seem fine, I have just added the 2 pink gourami, 2 panda platies, 2 salt and pepper mollies a few days ago and they all seem fine. I would have had more sharks but obviously the tank isn't big enough for 3-5, the 2 in there seem happy enough together and play with the albino shark. The 2 silver sharks I have are currently: 1 is about 3" in length and the other about 5.5"

I was abit worried I may have trouble with having the fighter in there with the gourami's but they seem fine together and I keep my eye out for any fin damage.

Andy
 
How about if I go for the pro 2224 version?

This way I get the best of both worlds, a bigger filter system and the advantages of the pro model such as easier maintenance.

Sound good?

Andy
 
If you have the money, why not? A pro 2224 would be excellent for that tank :good:.

But again, why not just go for a bigger Classic ;).

If money isnt an issue, then go for the biggest Eheim Pro you can fit in the cabinet and work on spreading flow from the output as much as possible using spray bars and the like.

If you have a limit to what you want to spend, decide whether you want better filtration or easier (but more frequent) maintenance and go for the biggest Classic or Pro (depending on your choice) in your price range.
 
Hey, sorry to drag this up again, but still on the topic of eheim.

I've been looking at the different ranges and sort of fixed on the 2126 thermo model.

Would this be too big / powerful for my tank of would it be fine??

I like the idea of the added thermo therefore doing away with the internal heater in the tank.

Andy
 
It's not too powerful and would be a great size, however the "thermo" versions are more likely to have problems, as they are less reliable as the regular models. They are still very reliable filters, so if you really like the look of them, don't put off getting one. But when your paying the extra money for an Eheim, most people do so for the reliability, so a "thermo" version would kind of defeat the purpose of that.

A Eheim 2026 and a Hydor external heater should be slightly cheaper and more reliable :good:.
 
Thanks 3 fingers, I'll have a look at the hydor external heater and I've already seen the 2026 because that is the one I looked at first but I dont think that size comes in the 'thermo' model thats why I looked at the 2126

Andy
 
what about marineland? the penguins are very good quality. it was either a tetra 150 gph rate or this one for the same price that turns over 350 gph. as far as quality goes...well ive never had an eheim but have had several others...its hit or miss for quality but a big one for me is how noisy is it going to be.
 
Those two Silver Sharks are going to get very big; you don't really have room for one and if you have more than one, they prefer a group of at least 5/6. They alone would need a very big tank. You'll need a bigger tank sooner rather than later.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top