Which Clown?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

fishheaded

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Please someone help, I just purchased my clean up crew and a scooter blenny today at my lfs, and when I put the scooter blenny in earlier, he was moving around happily, but now he's just laying on the substrate, not moving. :no: Is this normal, are they just resting? Or should I be worried? :(

Oh yeah, I have a:
10g aquarium
2 x 32 watt compact flourecent lighting
30 aquaclear filter
1 maxijet 400
13 lbs live rock
10 lbs live sand

Its all been set up for a week and a half.
Params are where they should be:
ammonia 0 ppm
nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate 0 ppm
ph 8.2
sg 1.025
temp 80 degrees

Please help, thanks
-FishHeaded

Scooter Blenny's usually do sit on the substrate so I think its completly normal. All the pictures ive seen of scooter blennys usually are on the substrate. And the recommended tank size for a single blenny is 30gallons :good:

Thanks Mr.Sep.
Wow, the people at both my local fish stores said they would do perfectly fine in a 10g. :blink:
Well I have plenty of copepods swarming all over the place and all over the glass, its ridiculus.
Yeah, and I read that they need a 30g also, but I think the people at my LFS are just getting me to buy from them or they are inexperienced. :no:

Or both. Sorry I cant be of help, but I dont konw much about scooter blennies

That's alright, i'll do a little more researching. :good:

But anyways, change of topic because I didn't want to start a new one.
I am planning on getting a clown fish, but I don't know which one to get between the Perc or Ocellaris?
Which one is more active and attractive to look at? Or are they pretty much the same?
I also am going to be getting a yellow clown goby later on. :D

-FishHeaded

Or both. Sorry I cant be of help, but I dont konw much about scooter blennies

That's alright, i'll do a little more researching. :good:

But anyways, change of topic because I didn't want to start a new one.
I am planning on getting a clown fish, but I don't know which one to get between the Perc or Ocellaris?
Which one is more active and attractive to look at? Or are they pretty much the same?
I also am going to be getting a yellow clown goby later on. :D

-FishHeaded

You are better off with a pair of clowns. I like Percs better, I believe clowns in general are active but im not sure which one is MOST active. I bet ski knows tho :fun:

Scooter "Blennies" (Synchiropus ocellatus) are not Blennies at all but Dragonets. Sorry to have to tell you this, but your guy will deplete your tank of Copepods and then starve to death in a matter of days or weeks. :no: They are just as difficult to keep as the notorious Mandarin Dragonet.

Being someone that has kept both A. ocellaris and A. percula (even Ski can't say that :hey: :lol: ) I find them to be almost identical in every way (assuming you have tank-bred specimens - wild caught ones are incredibly difficult to acclimate and often suffer from disease). I like Perculas a little better, because they are brighter in colour (generally) and have bigger black edging. Both fish are great though :good: and often have distinct personalities from individual to individual.

-Lynden

I highly doubt he can even eat half the copepods in my tank, esp since he's so tiny. The owner of my LFS and I were talking about it, and we came to conclusion that he will do just fine in my tank. And if for some reason he doesn't, I can always take him back. :D Plus I need help clearing up all the copepods, there is soooo many, its ridiculus. :crazy:

Well anyways, got some questions:
1) Will a perc or ocellaris pair up with a yellow clown goby since they are both clowns?
2) My clean up crew is doing well, except the 2 cerith.
They both keep going to the top of the waterline, is this normal?
I hope that they aren't going up there because they don't like the water. :no:

here is a pic:
DSCF0304.jpg

I highly doubt he can even eat half the copepods in my tank, esp since he's so tiny. The owner of my LFS and I were talking about it, and we came to conclusion that he will do just fine in my tank. And if for some reason he doesn't, I can always take him back. :D Plus I need help clearing up all the copepods, there is soooo many, its ridiculus. :crazy:

Actually, you'd be surprised :( Dragonets are incredibly effeicient at predating on copepods. And plus, "pods" are something you want to have alot of. However they can occasionally be an indicator of overfeeding.

Well anyways, got some questions:
1) Will a perc or ocellaris pair up with a yellow clown goby since they are both clowns?
They are both clowns only in namesake. Gobies and Clownfish are only very, very distantly related. I believe they are both under the order Perciformes. If you do add the clownfish, remember that he will be the last fish you add until one dies. :look: Three fish is pushing it for a ten gallon nano.

2) My clean up crew is doing well, except the 2 cerith.
They both keep going to the top of the waterline, is this normal?
I hope that they aren't going up there because they don't like the water. :no:
Ahh, at last I'm able to give some better news :D Your Ceriths are behaving normally.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy your work. :drink: That is, until the next water change (which will be soon :lol: ).

-Lynden

Ahh I see, thanks for the help Lynden. With the copepods, I know I have alot floating around, but i'm not sure if they are copepods or white debri, and it doesn't look appealing :blink: Does water changes get rid of it? And I probably won't even add the 3rd fish until my tank is established. Should I just add 2 clowns or 1 clown and 1 yellow clown goby?

-FishHeaded

Most reactions

Back