Which Camera?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

seffieuk

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!
Reaction score
Reet, after trying all week to get a photo of ms world and failing and also looking at some of the amazing photos that people are producing I am coming round to the fact that I need a new camera (one that will not break the bank).

I am just amazed at the quality of some of the photos that are appearing on the coral and fish of the week :drool:

So, what sort of camera should i be looking for?

Seffie x

:fish:

ps put this in the hardware section as beginning to think a decent camera is a 'must have' along with a skimmer :lol:

Both myself and Jennybugs use the Fuji Finepix S9500 (me) and S9600 (Jenny), jenny's is the newer version of mine, however these are £300 + cameras.

Buddyboy if I am reet uses a Digital SLR which are £400 - £500 + then you have to buy additional lenses.

Fuji, Canon and Nikon and Pentax tend to be good brands.

What kind of price are looking at??

Budget usually dicates the camera IME.

I had a choice between the Fuji and the Sony Cybershot for the budget I was looking at. In the end the Zoom range on the Fuji along with the performance at various ISO dictated my decision.

What Camera is a good mag to have a look at for buying your camera, split into the best for each budget too.

A tripod is always good to have too.

Don't be too disheartened, I did manage to get my mum a fairly decent Kodak off of fleabay for £100.

Thats what I say, depends what the budget is as to which camera is best in that price bracket.

I went for a DSLR sony A200 I use a camera a lot anyway went for this one as it has all the features and more I will ever need and Sony have made a new one with more features so the A200 is cheaper :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The ones I took the other day are with my girlfriends Panasonic Lumix (She might be getting me one for my birthday :hyper: ). It has a Leica lens and great deal of features. Its also 10.1 MP.

I used the vivid colour feature when taking pictures of my nano the other day and it REALLY made the colours so vibrant. Play.com has it for £120, which is a really good price!

If you can push up to just under £250 quid, you can get an awesome camera. Check out the Casio EXILIM EX-FH20. I might ask my GF to give put £120 towards getting the EX-FH20 and I put up the rest.

The ones I took the other day are with my girlfriends Panasonic Lumix (She might be getting me one for my birthday :hyper: ). It has a Leica lens and great deal of features. Its also 10.1 MP.

I used the vivid colour feature when taking pictures of my nano the other day and it REALLY made the colours so vibrant. Play.com has it for £120, which is a really good price!

If you can push up to just under £250 quid, you can get an awesome camera. Check out the Casio EXILIM EX-FH20. I might ask my GF to give put £120 towards getting the EX-FH20 and I put up the rest.

Heh will try that with my lumix tommorrow see the results :)

Also, I have a tripod. That and using the count down feature really makes a difference. It eliminates any vibration and you get much sharper images as a result. The vibrant setting is very good on the lumix Morri. When I was messing with all the features and selected that one I was like "WOWWWW" :hyper: lol

I sometimes use the chrome setting on my fuji which does the same thing.

Basically you have 3 types of camera as far as I am concerned.

Compact
Prosumer
Digital SLR.

The Prosumer covers the compacts with DSLR features. The fuji I use has a raw setting, takes pictures like an old SLR camera and you format via processing. Used it once, top feature though. The zoom is equivalent to 28-300mm which compared to the lenses on an SLR, you would need 3 or 4 for the same range. I can focus manually like an SLR and it feels like an SLR. It has 9 million pixels and the zoom is classed as x10.7 optical, the optical is far superior to the digital by the way. The lens is fuji (bloody good) and it accepts 58mm filters.

You can however get some very good compacts now.

Download a little program called Iexif. This will allow you to look at what camera was used to take the picture you are admiring and give you some idea of what different camera's are capable of. It makes me chuckle somtimes to see that some fantastic shots are taken with compacts and some really poor shots taken with SLR's :rolleyes:

Definitely. If you know how to take photo's properly and use the functions the camera has to offer, then you can get some great pictures from some relatively bog standard cameras.

I think my Dad has a Nikon D90 and a D70 too. With the lens he bought with it he paid about £1800. The photo's it takes are fantastic. Things like tracking a bird in flight and cascading water are razor sharp in clarity. Mind you, he also knows what he's doing with it so gets some amazing shots.

I bought my camera to go on safari in Kenya in 2006. I chose the camera mainly on what I would need for that holiday, I used bean bags instead of a tripod as you could rest the bean bags on either the roof or the open window.

I learned the basic functions of the camera as I only had about 8 weeks to learn how to use it.

I read alot of photography mags before I went as I wanted to know what I was doing. It really paid off to be honest, I left the camera mainly on automatic, used a UV filter (one of my next door neighbours was a professional photographer) and pointed and shot and shot and shot etc.

I took 1800 photographs on a 4 day 3 night safari, a good 1500 were usable, I got 165 professionally printed using an online company and had them printed large, one per photo album page (the sticky ones with a trasparent cover).

I took some amazing shots aswell, even if I do say so myself (the professional photographer said if he still had the business he would have took me on) so I was really pleased.

Aquatic photography is very different, fish move way quicker than anything I photographed on safari. The light refraction and shooting through glass are completley different. It nvolves using setting you rarely need for other photography you may do.

I have since perfected the old sunset shot. I will have to dig some out and show you. Alot of the time, if you have a decent enough camera (not necessarily expensive) but learn how to use it well, you can get some stunning shots.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back