Wheres all the Algae??!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CraZ4fiSHieS

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:crazy: Kinda freakin here cause my pleco is needing to be moving into my 29gal. tank soon. He's growing Growing GROWING really fast! :hyper: I haven't had any bottom feeders/algae eaters in that tank before, and it was building up a month or two ago, so we put some of that stuff that gets rid of the algae. I keep checking the tank now since "Big guy" has been getting...well...big! :thumbs: I cant feel really any algae in the tank! There would be an ample supply of non-algae food for him to munch on at feeding time, but doesnt he need the algae?? :/ Just wondering if anyone has any advice or experience with a similar situation. Can I buy something that will help it start to grow back? -_- OH!!! :hyper: I almost forgot... How would he do living with a rather large, always hungry rubber eel??

can you get direct sunlight to the tank? If not just leave your light on longer this will help stimulate algae growth. Besides you probably have algae even if you cant feel it. Plus to much disturbance and it wont grow either.

Well hes all moved in and Dang he is going to town! :lol: Loves it in the new tank! And Ely the rubber eel hasnt bothered him at all! Im glad it worked out! B)
Just not looking forward to the day when he outgrows my tank and I have to trade him in... :-(

whos gonna out grow your tank! if you have not got room for the fish then dont buy them! its wrong! thats my opinion only......

I didnt know how big they got until I went to a fish store down town and they had HUGE plecs and I asked what kind they were and they said it was the kind I have! P/Od, but Im gonna keep him till he gets a little bigger. :( I'll miss him, hes cool!

try feeding algae wafers at feeding time, or alternatively before you turn lights out at night... id bet he loves em...

dont worry, one of the first mistakes i made was buying a "small pleco"............. ;)

jus make sure you do sell him before he gets too big -- a 29g is a 3ft tank right??
or alternatively trade him back in now for something smaller -- one of the ancistrus species.....

:rolleyes:

Gad~ I wish!!! :p I dont have a job right now, so upgrading to a bigger tank is near immpossible. :( If I had the funds, believe me I would get a bigger tank! :nod:
I will sell him before he gets too big. I want to get a Clown Plec. I heard those only grow to 4". Is this true? They have cool markings too! B)

Clown plecs do only get to 4" but if you ever want to see it you will need at least 3,ime when kept singularly they become incredibly shy and spend their whole time hiding but with a couple of their own kind around become quite active.

the more clown plecs you have the better! in mho a tank just for them would be ideal , that was one of my plans until the move into this flat happened and it has been put on hold for a few weeks ! great plec to have, dont get very big but can be shy and terriotal if you only keep one.

Im going to get a lotta grief for this, but :look: I have a 29 gal with 3 gouramis, 2 dwarf gouramis, 3 congo tetras, 3 rainbow bosamanis and a rubber eel (whom I am planning to upgrade to a tank he can properly fit when he gets bigger). Will it do my tank a lot of damage (if overcrowding hasnt already) to get 3 clown plecos? (After I sell my common one of course) I would think they would be a help to my tank as they would clean up some of the mess left by the other fishies! Before someone guts me for having so many fish in that size tank, 8) I keep it clean and all the levels (amonia, etc...) are good! Healthy healthy fish! Its not my fault I swear! My boyfriend kept bringing me fish and I couldnt say no! Finally got him to stop after the congo tetras!
But anyhow, think 3 clown plecs would be ok? Or should I forget it until I have a better set-up??? :sad:

In my opinion i would say forget it! You have a common plec hope its not int he 29gal tank! and if it is why! is it getting too big! Then the question is why buy them! Always buy fish you know you can accomadate and give them the things they need! Dnt buy them and then sell them or give them away because you thought they not get that big! That is wrong,it makes me angry to hear people say these things. And you say your plec is getting well big! How big is big? Do you know how big they can get? Do you know what foods they eat! THey do not just eat algae! WRong impression you have! ( my view only)

The clowns are classed as peacefull plec's they need a wood diet , will clean your 29 gal tank of algae in a few days!( they need algae tabs and other foods as well as bogwood) so if you plan to have these i would say get a bigger tank and get at least 4 of them! They are nite fish , but you will see them sometimes during the day! 25 gal is minimum size for as they get approx 3 inches, the mega clown gets about 4.5 inches and is an omnivore. ( minimum size for them is about 30 gal)

These plecs need lots of hiding places ( such as zebras,and other small Peckoltia ) and will get terroritory so the more you have the bigger tank you will need! They also need excellent filtration as they will produce lots of mess in the tank form thier food! they prefer warmer water around 80f mark again same as Peckoltia and zebra's. Hope some of this helps, i was gonna get 6 in my 4ft tank when it comes to my new flat!

If you have a large plec in your tank, and you want to add more clown plecs to a 30gal ! why ask if the tank is cycled! sorry but if more people read about what they were buying before they bought the fish home then lfs would not have large plec and other fish for sale from unwanted customers! I dont mean to rude here :sad: :X

If no one took over grown fish back to the fs then then there would be no grown on specimins for people who have large predatory fish to buy,i have quite often rescued returned fish because i cant buy them when they are small.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back