Where To Start?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BigTuna

Fishaholic
Reaction score
First things first, I am pretty new to the freshwater hobby, so this is something I want down the road. I am completely blown away with the saltwater fish and reef. I'm thinking in a couple of years I'd like to build my own saltwater system. I guess what I am wondering is if any of you knowledgeable members have any recommendations on some reference materials that would be great to study in order to prepare myself for such a venture. Any major considerations I need to know before I even think about beginning this? I'd assume, start up cost and time are two of the most critical things to keep in mind. I appreciate any assistance, thanks!

BigTuna

There is another site that I probably can't mention but it is the Ultimate resource on the internet for Reef keeping.

I'd recommend you think about starting with an all in one style tank like the River Reef 94L - you can keep 3 or 4 fish and a good selection of soft and LPS corals in it. Small tanks like that are great for learning what you need to learn in order to keep a reef system - they are also not too expensive to set up and run; so if you decide you don't like reef keeping you aren't left with a £2000 reef system with £650 worth of live rock to rehome.

It's good to dream!

As you say - I would get a little more experience under your belt with the FW side of things. Then I would be tempted to do as Katch mentions - start small and learn from it - if you like it then you can upgrade.

There are loads of beginners resources from books to that site that Katch mentioned - make sure you do your research before you jump in as there are loads of options.

just had a quick look at the site, TOTM all i can say is wow. would love a set up like that.

Yes, you could go to a big website, and learn a lot. I use Reef Central, personally, but why not also post here and contribute to this site? There are a lot of knowledgeable members here too.

I recommend two books

Jeffrey Kurtz' Simple Guide to the mini-reef aquarium

Michael Palettas The New Marine Aquarium

Check them out in the library, download them, or buy them. I find them excellent. There's also a resource center here that I took the time an effort to make. It's in my signature and in the pinned topics above.

L

Yes I can't recommend This highly enough.

There is everything that you need here to get you started - anything that you are not sure about once you have read it then just ask!

Thanks everyone. This is definitely something further down the road for me. As you've said, ainsy, I need to get more experience with the FW under my belt first. The more and more I see of the Marine aquariums I am just in awe. I am going to spend a lot of time studying the resources you have all mentioned here, and I appreciate it. Ultimately, I'd like to understand the Marine stuff well enough that I can design and build a custom tank with all the equipment I need installed in just perfectly! :D As it becomes more of a reality for me I will certainly be relying heavily on the experienced members here! :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back