Where To Get Thick-Lipped And Female Dwarf

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

mrmillipede

Reaction score
Dear Gouramis enthusiasts,
I recently moved to Chicago, U.S. from Europe and finally set up an Aquarium again.
I have been to several pet stores (AquariumAdventure, Petland, Petco, PetSmart, Meijers, ...). All the big stores.. However, I never saw any Female dwarf Gouramis - they only sell males. Is it an American custom? I heard rumours about American rainbow breeders, that the females are never sold! Is the same true for the dwarf gouramis?

What I also miss (and they are my favorites!) are thick-lipped Gouramis. I know they are rare - but aren't there some breeders or enthusiast clubs out there?

All the best
-Thomas

Welcome to TFF! Jim N at Aquarium Adventure would have the best idea as to where to find these species. I know he has and probably still does breed rainbows, and may have a line on the gouramis. Tell him John from Greenwater told you to call, he's a really nice guy with decades of aquatic experience.

Thank you,
I will try that. Already called almost all the Aquarium stores here, only one said they had thick-lipped, and when we arrived after an 1 hour drive it was the strange color morph which just looks like a goldfish. Plus, again, no females at all. I just did not expect that, next time I have to be more precise on the phone before driving up (Thick-Lipped?, Natural form? Females?), but I fear the answer will always be "No".
The store owner told me, that, since the pet stores will never fill their space with the less colourful gourami females, the US-breeders/importers already sort them out at an early stage. Such a shame! Especially the thicklipped gouramis are interesting to watch as a pair.

Oh Yes,
do you think there will be some thick-lipped on the auction of your Greenwater Club in April?
Are there any Parosphromenus breeders (don't even know the English name! Is there one?) in your Club?
All the best
-Thomas

Most reactions

Back