Where to find a 90 or 100 gallon aquarium and stand (no canopy) for a reasonable price Oh and how to you store your RO/DI water?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Feel free to post an alternative frameless low iron glass tank with a built in sump/filter, I would love to see it.

Note: that price include shipping.
You don’t have to have a fancy frameless, low iron, and a built in sump for a good saltwater tank.

You can make a tank much cheaper than most people let on. Besides, that setup doesn’t include lights, for growing the corals. (If you choose to do a fish-only tank, then there’s no need to buy specific lights for corals. You can just use a normal light)

You don’t have to have a fancy frameless, low iron, and a built in sump for a good saltwater tank.
So your issue is with the higher cost of frameless low-iron tanks with filter/sump. On that, I agree. Old school framed tanks work for me.
You can make a tank much cheaper than most people let on.
The OP was struggling with connecting a RO unit to the water supply under her sink, I doubt she would take on a DIY tank project.
Besides, that setup doesn’t include lights, for growing the corals. (If you choose to do a fish-only tank, then there’s no need to buy specific lights for corals. You can just use a normal light)
Which is why you shouldn't buy a tank setup with a light, buy that separately.

LOL I know how to get the water out of the faucet (this is a portable unit where you just remove the aerator on your facet and put the RO?DI one on in it's place, then it comes out of a tube to wherever your going to store it - in my case I plan to store it in Rubbermaid Husky brand of new garbage cans (the only brand where the plastic doesn't leach dangerous chemicals), it will be on a caster with rollers since you can't easily move 32 gallons of water and I certainly don't want a row of trash cans in my kitchen, it's too small already. Once the trash can is full I can start on the next trash can and move the first one down to my fish room. I was just curious how other people store their water. The system only produces 75 gallons every 24 hours but that's rather an over-estimate and I'm not going to be able to keep it attached at all times since I do use that faucet for other things, but I'd like to have at least 40 or more gallons on hand at all times. For fresh water I also plan to store it in the trash cans with warm water - just the amount needed to do a water change on 2 of my other tanks. I'll probably need to hook up my RO/DI water to a heater so I can match the temperature of my reef tank when doing water changes - so it has to be ready far enough in advance to allow for heating up the water.

What I REALLY wanted to know was where to get a 100 gallon aquarium and a good stand for less than $1,000. I can hardly find any 100 gallon tanks anywhere. They have 90 gallon then jump tp 125 gallon. Going crazy so I guess I'll buy the Petsmart one that is 90 gallons and they have a stand you can use with it that is rated to hold 900lbs. (estimating each gallon weighs 10lbs by the time you factor in substrate and decorations. The stand has mixed reviews - some arrive missing one or more pieces of hardware or none at all, while other people had a wonderful experience putting it together and have had no problems with it holding such a heavy tank. I'm a little concerned about where in the room to put it other than on the wall that is the side of the house which is surely loadbearing. I also have a wall that separates my duplex from the other one and they are also typically load bearing. But these were built in 1960 so who knows. I went down to the basement and looked at the floor joists along that wall and it too appears to be load bearing but I'm no engineer. I know there is very little noise between the two units so the walls are pretty thick. The only time I can hear my neighbors is if they are in their basement which they've turned into a playroom for their children. So hopefully no accidents especially since I don't own the place.

Well off to by el cheapo aquarium at Petsmart (actually I have 2 of their 29 gallon glass tanks and they've worked perfectly for 3 yrs. I think the brand is Aqueon. But my son-in-law picked it up and put it in the back of his truck to move it = we didn't have to have it delivered like this one will be.

Fish Tanks Direct (bless their hearts with a little TOO MUCH customer service) has been going back and forth with me on a 90 gallon tank that I guess has to be custom made and it takes 6-8 weeks, of course they sat on the order for over a week before they contacted me and then mentioned their other 90 gallon tank that could arrive much sooner but costs $400 more! I keep telling him to get the Clear for Life tank ordered ASAP if it's going to take so long, then 2 days later its "are you sure - they are basically the same tank but you'd get the other one immediately" and I'm like NOT FOR $400 MORE. Each time I tell him to get the clear for life aquarium ordered ASAP (this 6-8 weeks will end up being more like 10 weeks due to all this back and forth emails every few days.) He's very nice but what fool would spend $400 more for an aquarium that, according to him, is exactly the same as Clear for Life - it just costs $400 more and doesn't take as long. Geez I already have the stand built and ready for the aquarium (the stand seems remarkably strong). I had to more a dresser (I was using for storage) into the hallway - not very attractive but it won't fit any place else until I completely rearrange my study to hold it. After all this is over I will have 3 - 29 gallon tanks sitting in my basement. I'll wait and sell them at my estate sale if and when I have to move to assisted living.

One pointer (and I know better) but when you are ordering LOTS of stuff at the same time (in my case the 90 gallon tank and my 32 gallon reef tank) keep a spreadsheet listing the place you ordered it from and the date. Right now I'm missing my live sand and cannot remember where I ordered it from. I'll check the obvious like Bulk Reef Supply but it gets frustrating. I THINK I have everything else except the live sand. I'm ready to get the saltwater tank set up somewhere and start building my reef. Just found out it doesn't come with the media so I may be buying some of that, although I have an entire drawer of media for my AquaClear filters that I'm phasing out and switching to Canister (which DO come with the initial media). So hopefully I can save some money there. I'm over $3,000 between the two tanks and am ready to stop spending money.

There is another company called Tru Vue, they are a factory direct manufacture. They started making acrylic aquariums around 1980, we had them in the aquarium store I worked at during college.

I believe you can customized the aquarium if you wanted thicker acrylic for example. Give them a try.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back