Where do you get your Fishtank stands and your fishtanks?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jan Cavalieri

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Planning on buying a 55 gallon fish tank. The length on the majority of the tanks is about 50 inches, yet EVERY stand I've looked at or seen for a 55 gallon has dimensions any where from 47 to 49 1/2" - how do you deal with having your tank over hang your stand? Do you just buy a stand for one tank size higher (If you can find them) - why to they do this? Brands: Marco, Pects Pets, Ameriwood Home, Imagintarium, Aquatic Fundamentals - ALL too small for most aquariums. I don't really want to make one - and money - to a certain extent is not an issue but size is. Also I've checked the local pet stores - they carry the same stuff as Amazon and Ebay. We're too small of a town to get many local sellers plus I don't have a truck - and where do you go looking for you aquariums? Shop locally? Amazon? Other online Aquatics store? I don't find anything but the same cheap brands or the sky high expensive designer tanks which I don't need or even want. In general I can find an aquarium easier than a stand but they are all the same aquariums and then none of the stands fit. Extremely frustrating - yet once you buy one you can't pay somebody to take it off your hands. (we found one used but it was disgustingly dirty and they wanted $200 for it with all the dirt and debris in it? You can find brand new ones in that price range.

My 55 from goodwill came with a stand. I'm building a cinder block stand for my 42g and it will be double tiered so I can have some 10g and a 20 on top. I have used dressers for 10g and an ikea kallax shelf for a 20, I wouldn't put a 55 on one tho

Planning on buying a 55 gallon fish tank. The length on the majority of the tanks is about 50 inches, yet EVERY stand I've looked at or seen for a 55 gallon has dimensions any where from 47 to 49 1/2" - how do you deal with having your tank over hang your stand? Do you just buy a stand for one tank size higher (If you can find them) - why to they do this? Brands: Marco, Pects Pets, Ameriwood Home, Imagintarium, Aquatic Fundamentals - ALL too small for most aquariums. I don't really want to make one - and money - to a certain extent is not an issue but size is. Also I've checked the local pet stores - they carry the same stuff as Amazon and Ebay. We're too small of a town to get many local sellers plus I don't have a truck - and where do you go looking for you aquariums? Shop locally? Amazon? Other online Aquatics store? I don't find anything but the same cheap brands or the sky high expensive designer tanks which I don't need or even want. In general I can find an aquarium easier than a stand but they are all the same aquariums and then none of the stands fit. Extremely frustrating - yet once you buy one you can't pay somebody to take it off your hands. (we found one used but it was disgustingly dirty and they wanted $200 for it with all the dirt and debris in it? You can find brand new ones in that price range.
A standard 55g aquarium is 48” long, not 50”. Any off the shelf stand for a 55g tank will do just fine.

A standard 55g aquarium is 48” long, not 50”. Any off the shelf stand for a 55g tank will do just fine.
The problem is that some are only 47"

I can’t imagine any factory built stands would not support the length of an aquarium they are claiming to support, that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. A simple google search yield many different brands of stands for 55g tanks that are at least 49”.

Can someone show me a 47” stand?

I’ve had a 55G from Walmart up and running for about 3 years. They also sell the stand to go with it. I’ve been very happy with mine. :)

I’ve had a 55G from Walmart up and running for about 3 years. They also sell the stand to go with it. I’ve been very happy with mine. :)
I was looking at that, and wondered how good it is. Glad to know it's good quality. It's a good price :)

Imagintarium sells a 55 gallon stand that is 47.5 inches wide. I suspect sellers of tanks that say they are 52 gallons wide are quoting the box dimensions (important for the shipping carrier but not the customer). There is a decent looking stand for about $100 that says it is 48" wide shows the edges of the tanks spilling over by at least 1/4"-1/2" - I'm not comfortable with that but it's one of the most popular stands sold. And look at how thin the edges are - this just doesn't look safe to me but it's what is selling.

Popular fish tank stand.jpg

I was thinking if you the other day. Are you feeling OK? That looks like my 55G stand but mine isn’t thin at all.

Imagintarium sells a 55 gallon stand that is 47.5 inches wide. I suspect sellers of tanks that say they are 52 gallons wide are quoting the box dimensions (important for the shipping carrier but not the customer). There is a decent looking stand for about $100 that says it is 48" wide shows the edges of the tanks spilling over by at least 1/4"-1/2" - I'm not comfortable with that but it's one of the most popular stands sold. And look at how thin the edges are - this just doesn't look safe to me but it's what is selling.

View attachment 103293
It's made of strong wood so should be fine, look at the reviews

Mine came with their stands (my 46g bowfront and my 20g livebearer tank). All mine except my 10g and my betta tanks were second hand... my livebearer 20 gallon is older than me lol cant say id know exactly where its from... but its got an ancient old wood stand and came with a clunky old canopy for it too...

View attachment 103293
I am using that exact same stand as we speak right now. It is Aqua Culture brand. It feels plenty sturdy to me. Off the shelf aquarium stands are not a marvel in engineering, but this particular one doesn’t feel too bad. It currently holds two 24” long aquariums, with room to spare if you may be worried about the 48” length.

My 55 from goodwill came with a stand. I'm building a cinder block stand for my 42g and it will be double tiered so I can have some 10g and a 20 on top. I have used dressers for 10g and an ikea kallax shelf for a 20, I wouldn't put a 55 on one tho

I found this post by searching for 'Kallax' as I'm thining about putting a tank on one.
We have a 3x4 cube ikea Kallax and I'm going to put a 15g tank on top. But I started donig the math and realised the tank will weight ~75kg when full. I will use some brackets to secure the Kallax and prevent side to side movement.

Anyone have other tanks on ikea furniture? Am I going to end up with water on the floor and a smashed tank??

I bought my 75 gallon tank as a set from a LFS. Love the people there. My only recommendation is to not buy Topfin tanks. Bad reviews. As for the stand, I would usually think buying them as a set is the best, but you can always go online and look at how other peoples stand are for a 55 :banana:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back