Where Do I Put Filter Floss Please

marieukxx

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have one that looks exactly like this:
http://www.paddockfa...uct.asp?PID=229

Can anyone advise me wher I actually put the filter floss. I'm sick of all the tiny particles floating around.

Your links not working, marie.

Anyway, most people put the filter floss right next to the intake, so the water goes through the floss first. You use it purely as mechanical filtration ie; you can wash it out in tap water.

Then it helps to stop your bio media getting clogged with dirt, so the bits where you bacteria are living should (in theory at least!) need less washing.

http://www.paddockfarm.co.uk/product.asp?PID=229

Is that any better? The water is drawn in through the bottom would I put it there?

Ah! That's better :)
Yes; a layer right at the bottom. I know it's a bit of a nuisance having to take the sponge out every time, but it's better than putting it at the top IMO.
You need only a thin layer; you don't need great clots of the stuff .

Thanks so just a thin layer of it. And how often do I need to change it?

It depends on how many bits are in your water. I'd take it out and wash it once or maybe twice a week. As you're not using it to hold bacteria you can wash it under the tap, but it does go sort of 'clumpy' after a while, so then it's time to replace it.

If you're really mean, you can save up all the old clumpy stuff, tie it up in a pair of tights or pillowcase and then run it through the washing machine (no detergent of course ;)) Comes out good as new (well, nearly anyway :p).

Lol; twice a week for washing it then ;)

I put my filter floss right at the end of the filter system, so it my filter is, sponge, ceramic rings, then the last basket before the outlet is floss.
I replace it every water change as its not real expensive.

Tom

Thanks I've got my floss on ebay so when it arrives I'll pop it in. I have loads of little bits and whenever I move anything they all stir up so hopefully this well help. I bought a roll of it for £2.50

It may be an idea to change it twice in the first week just to remove the excess crud you may have built up. Even if you do it just once a week you will see a dramtic improvment in water clarity within 1 or 2 weeks.

Tom

My filter floss is always the last thing in the flow path before I return the water to the tank. It lasts a fairly long time because the earlier stages of filtration means that it need not remove too much material itself. It is used just to "polish" the returning water.

Most reactions

Back