When would you add a Betta to this tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kris2005

Reaction score
Hello, got a question...when can I safely add a Betta to my new tank? I have a 5 gal tank I set up just yesterday. Added safe start bacteria, filter media from my established tank and filled it with water from my established tank. Of course since the water is from another tank it tests cycled. I temporarily added a zebra danio to the tank which I will remove when I add the Betta. There are my perimeters right now. How long do I wait to safely add a Betta? 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 10 ppm nitrate. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20210630_093311061.jpg
    IMG_20210630_093311061.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 37
Using the danio to do a fish-in cycle, is not good for the danio. I would put him back in his tank.

Water from another tank will do nothing to cycle a tank as the bacteria we need don't live floating in the water but attached to surfaces. Taking some media from an established tank's filter and putting that in the new tank's filter will help.

The only way to be certain that the used media contains enough bacteria is to add ammonia to the tank - without any fish in it. For a betta in 5 gallons, adding enough ammonia to get 1 ppm is plenty. After 24 hours if both ammonia and nitrite are zero, it is cycled; if one or both are not zero, it is not cycled.

Most reactions

Back