When Will It Stop!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Jodiem

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
my two honey thick lipped gourami, hopefully one male and one female, the male has a larger body and fin than her so I'm hoping he is a he.

well he keeps chasing her away all the time and she just sits in the cornor next to the filter and when ever she moves he chases her! I've tried moving some of the floating plants over to the filter to get her up in the water but they keep floating to his side!!

why does he chase her off and will it stop?

Thanks Jodie

gourami's like to be in pairs so that is good. however when you got them they may not have been a 'couple' ( not youre fault) so they will take time to get used to each other. Or he may be hassling her cos he is 'wanting something'! or maybe there is something else in the tank thats distressing her? but keep watching as gourami's are remakably fragile!

First of all: how big is your tank? Gouramis are territorial fish and like to have their own space (normally 30 litres (10 gallons)/ gourami. To have more than 1 gourami in a tank you need to have plenty of hiding places (rocks, wood, but especially plants are appreciated).

And then, gouramis DON'T like to be in couples! They do not pair up as kribs or rams do. It is much better to have them in trios (1 male, 2 females) so the male has to divide his attention and the females get some rest now and then.

the tank is 15g/ 60L there are big plants but they are over in his side of the tank but i have split one up and put it in her side, wheni first put them in which was last year or the begining of this year they were swimming round each other but now he chases her off or she sees him and retreats to the other side of the tank.

Is there anything i could do?

Thanks for your replys :good:
Jodie

get a second female m8. so then the first female will get a bit of a rest. x

eeep its getting worse, he is now chaing everything that goes near him away and she just sits at the bottom rock backward n forward, he has stopped her from eating at times aswell, should i move the male in a samll 2.5 gal tank for a few days so his territory is destroyed? kinda thing??

or should i just take the female to the fish shop?? :(

Thanks for your help

Jodie ;)

It is odd for a gourami to sit at the bottom, as they normally occupy the middle and upper levels of the tank. Are you sure he is not sick?

Yes, you can put him in the small tank, change all the decor around and re-introduce him after a few days. A second female is also an option. Best would be to do both.

both have never swam around the top but when i added floating plants the male and female started coming up but now the male chases the female away, i dont think shes sick, no white spot just sits at the bottom rocking bck and forward when i add food she comes up but not to the surface.

Thanks for your help
Jodie

I'd return the female to the shop, because it doesn't sound like you have room for a second female to take the pressure off. I had a male dwarf gourami harass a female pretty badly once, but the tank was larger and heavily planted so it never got as bad as you're describing.

Most reactions

Back