When the sleeper wakes...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Final plants are now in, having spent some time tying Anubias barteri to bits of wood, tipping in a pot of Salvinia auriculata and adding the three moss balls from my established tank.
Filter and heating are working as they should.

Because I'm trying the new Aquael filter, I haven't yet applied anything from the filter in my established tank.

I did buy a new Turkey Baster from Dunhelm, which came with a cleaning brush and this will be used to tame any hair algae. (Kudos to @wasmewasntit ).

EDIT: Plants and animals in bold text.

Last edited:
You'll have fun with the Turbo...trying all different media and flow rates and combination of parts from the box

I didn't use all the ceramics cos I transferred the old ones from the externals, but if you use the supplied ones, its easy to drop out most and then layer up your media choices on top

If the Turbo sits low in the aquarium, ie just above the sand, like my long aquarium, you can use sponge slice in the basket that fits underneath the can...remember though to put a hole in the middle of the sponge slice to prevent instant clogging.

Heater wise, my heaters are all still off cos the powerhead on the Turbo makes quite a bit of heat on its own when fully submerged. I also like the way that the filter holder also has the hook over the side of the aquarium....saves fishing the thing out when the suckers let go for any reason

Final plants are now in, having spent some time tying Anubias to bits of wood, tipping in a pot of Salvinia and adding the three moss balls from my established tank.
Filter and heating are working as they should.

Because I'm trying the new Aquael filter, I haven't yet applied anything from the filter in my established tank.

I did buy a new Turkey Baster from Dunhelm, which came with a cleaning brush and this will be used to tame any hair algae. (Kudos to @wasmewasntit ).
Nice! Iā€™ll have to follow all this.

"I have a bad feeling about this"
Not that there's anything apparently going wrong, nothing ominous and the fish all seem fine and dandy...but tht's just the point.
This is the first time ever, in my multitank experience, that I haven't had to manage some chemical imbalance or other.

Ammonia at 0.
GH 60mg/L
KH 40mg/L
pH 7.0
NO2 Nitrite 0mg/L
NO3 Nitrate <2.5mg/L

Temperature 26Ā°C - Reduced from 27ā„ƒ, to more closely match fish requirements.

All I can put it down to is my use of the Microbe-Lift bacterial products and the Tropica Premium Nutrition liquid plant food...plus a 20% water change, every o
Iā€™ve enjoyed your reading your set up process. Iā€™m familiar with a fair amount of it. Can you specify the reasons for using microbe lift Bacteria?
which of your plants are your favorites in terms of ease and enjoyment?

thanks!

Iā€™ve enjoyed your reading your set up process. Iā€™m familiar with a fair amount of it. Can you specify the reasons for using microbe lift Bacteria?
which of your plants are your favorites in terms of ease and enjoyment?

thanks!
To be honest, I was curious and then when someone stated that someone called Tim had patented the only effective bacteria, my interest was piqued further. I know about bacteria, so was simply intrigued.
Having done my research, I liked the sound of the Microbe-Lift products and decided to have a play.
Whilst I was in a position to do a proper test, with a control tank, I was impressed simply by the apparent ease my tank cycled.
Of course, it could've simply been my sheer brilliance , or just luck. :D but this was the first tank I ever established without any issues.
Even now, the only minor issue I had was the algae enjoying the Plant Boost setting of my Aquasky lamp.

With regards plants, all have done exactly what I hoped they'd do, with absolutely no 'melt'. Perhaps this may be due to the good lighting and the liquid fertiliser I'm using.

To be honest, I was curious and then when someone stated that someone called Tim had patented the only effective bacteria, my interest was piqued further. I know about bacteria, so was simply intrigued.
Having done my research, I liked the sound of the Microbe-Lift products and decided to have a play.
Whilst I was in a position to do a proper test, with a control tank, I was impressed simply by the apparent ease my tank cycled.
Of course, it could've simply been my sheer brilliance , or just luck. :D but this was the first tank I ever established without any issues.
Even now, the only minor issue I had was the algae enjoying the Plant Boost setting of my Aquasky lamp.

With regards plants, all have done exactly what I hoped they'd do, with absolutely no 'melt'. Perhaps this may be due to the good lighting and the liquid fertiliser I'm using.
Maybe your plants have done well because they would rather live than die. ;)

Thatā€™s Dr. Tim, sir! šŸ˜¹šŸ˜¹šŸ˜¹

Meanwhile, a new addition to the tank in the form of a young Bristlenose plec.

View attachment 140966

It's not very big at this moment in time;

View attachment 140967
I just came upon this thread and am amazed at how methodically you've put this tank together and it's stunning! And OMG that BNP is sooo tiny!!!
I've never seen one as small as a nerite! I have an almost identical nerite that's been with me for almost 7 years now. Such a wonderful little cleaner!

I just came upon this thread and am amazed at how methodically you've put this tank together and it's stunning! And OMG that BNP is sooo tiny!!!
I've never seen one as small as a nerite! I have an almost identical nerite that's been with me for almost 7 years now. Such a wonderful little cleaner!
Is that a tiny fish & a big snail? How bigā€™s the snail? I have two snails like that, maybe 5/8 inch

Added some more plants; two more 'moss balls', a small Limnophila sessiliflora, some Hemigraphis exotica* and another Java fern, plus some Java moss.
Water readings are currently) exactly the same as my other tank.
Does this mean that it's cycled? Don't be silly!
I've added a couple of Military Helmet nerites and a pair of Zebra nerites, to pump up the bioload and will see what happens, before I think about fish/shrimp.

*I appreciate that there is some debate about whether or not this is an 'aquarium' plant.

EDIT: Plants and animals in bold text.

Last edited:
Mindful of those near-perfect tanks on-line and on YouTube, I thought I'd best take a pic of my tank, before it gets spoiled by things actually living in it. :D

DSCN3890.JPG

DSCN3891.JPG

DSCN3892.JPG

DSCN3893.JPG

Added some more plants; two more 'moss balls', a small Limnophila sessiliflora, some Hemigraphis exotica* and another Java fern, plus some Java moss.
Water readings are currently) exactly the same as my other tank.
Does this mean that it's cycled? Don't be silly!
I've added a couple of Military Helmet nerites and a pair of Zebra nerites, to pump up the bioload and will see what happens, before I think about fish/shrimp.

*I appreciate that there is some debate about whether or not this is an 'aquarium' plant.
Are your moss balls styrofoam covered with moss? Saw some in pet shop. Asked owner if the fish ate the moss. He said: Not really. More for decoration.

Are your moss balls styrofoam covered with moss? Saw some in pet shop. Asked owner if the fish ate the moss. He said: Not really. More for decoration.
No to the styrofoam. If that was there, the balls would float!
They're actually balls of an algae, not moss.
'More for decoration' shows that the pet shop owner doesn't understand the benefits if plants in a tank...
They produce oxygen through photosynthesis.
They consume tank waste products and assist in the cycling process.
They provide surfaces for beneficial bacteria to grow on.
Shrimp and some fish like to nibble on them.

Most reactions

trending

Back