When the sleeper wakes...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Prepping for the second tank...

I've added two extra filter sponges to my first tank's filter and trimmed my plants, leaving the cuttings floating in the tank.
I've also thrown in three moss balls, (Marimo algae).

EDIT: Plants and animals in bold text.

Last edited:
Ammonia at 0.
GH 60mg/L
KH 40mg/L
pH 7.0
NO2 Nitrite 0mg/L
NO3 Nitrate <2.5mg/L
Temperature 26°C

There was some concern recently about the water supply, as United Utlities informed us that we'd be getting 50% of our water from a borehole, instead of 20%, (we get the rest from Ennerdale Water). So I kept a close eye on what was coming out of the taps and no change was noticed. As it is, given the recent heavy rainfall, I suspect we're back to the old ratio.

Anyhow, 9 Pygmy Corydoras, Corydoras pygmaeus, added to the tank.

DSCN3830.JPG

As I'd hoped, they're enjoying The Beach...
DSCN3847.JPG

DSCN3853.JPG

I love these little guys...swarming like bees everywhere and checking the other fish in the tank out. Thinking about it, it's a good job there are no larger fish in there, as these little ones would present themselves to get eaten rather quickly...they have no fear.

The only thing with the tank that I'm not so happy about is that it appears my nerites have been busy...
DSCN3858.JPG

Some eggs have also appeared on the front glass as well, but they'll be easier to remove.

Last edited:
Thanks for the interest...first image soon. ;)

I have access to only two aquatic shops...Cumbrian Aquapets in Workington and Maidenhead Aquatics, on the northern edge of Carlisle. The latter seemed quite impressive and I was pleased by the knowledge and willingness to engage of the two members of staff I spoke to there. Good selection of both plants and fish and all seemed healthy.
Aquapets also seemed to have healthy fish, although apparently demand in the local town is only for your standard run-of-the-mill fish and when someone who has been in the business believes that endlers and guppies are south east Asian...
My tank will be of a general South American theme...

I'm likely to be getting some Corys for the tank, so I bought some sand and created a small 'Beach' for them to rummage about in. This is what I have so far...

Stocking levels
It's a 30" long tank, so I can have 30" of fish, right? ;)
However, surface area is 360 sq.inch, which also gives me 30" of fish.
All of which fails to take into account decent filtration and aeration and the small detail that the plants and water parameters will be carefully monitored.
I know I was whiffling through the tulgey wood about aquarium stocking recipes, but this link answered a lot of my query well enough;

For lower levels, I'm thinking Corys and Ottos. Possibly Pygmy Corys, which will also move mid-water.
I'm thinking of a pair of dwarf cichlid, such as rams and either two small shoals, or one bigger one, of tetras, (Black Neons and Cardinals?) I've always liked Golden pencils.

According to the Aqadvisor, I have 237% filtration and, with such a stocking level of some 35 fishes, I'd need to change a third of the water every week.
Looks super cloudy

So...moving on... :rolleyes:

The 'new' tank is cleaned.
The Fluval U3 filters that came with the tank have been checked and are good to go, likewise one of my spare heaters.
I've another Aquasky light arriving soon.
I've got plant substrate to try out and some Argos playsand.
I've been wandering the beach, looking for some nice stone and driftwood and the wood is now soaking in buckets.

There's no stand, but I'll be painting breeze blocks and will be cutting wood tomorrow, to sit the tank on. (Wood and blocks will be painted black).

It'll be a SE Asian-themed tank.

Fish will possibly be;
At least half a dozen small loaches, (chain, if I can find some).
8 Cherry Barbs.
8 Harlequin.
A pair of Dwarf or Honey Gourami.
Some Khuli loach.

Ammonia at 0.
GH 60mg/L
KH 40mg/L
pH 7.0
NO2 Nitrite 0mg/L
NO3 Nitrate <2.5mg/L
Temperature 26°C

So my first tank is now complete and set up as planned, with a pair of Red Line Apistos, Apistogramma hongsloi now in place.

All of my plants are doing fine, with the java moss getting a severe reduction, as I noticed it seemed to be the source of hair algae. Since removing the tangled mess that was, the hair algae has definitely reduced and I've been happy to see the moss has now established itself up the side of my internal filter box and all of its remaining shoots are a nice, bright green.
My cuttings have now got rootlets and, where I cut the main plants, new leaves have grown.

If you've followed this journal, you may remember i was concerned a nerite of two may have popped its clogs.
I did a midnight light ambush and found the 'missing' snails, munching quite happily on my bogwood and on an Amazon Sword leaf.

I'm now ready to assemble my second tank stand...photos to follow...

Last edited:
Second tank...before;
DSCN3862.JPG

After...
DSCN3868.JPG

You're looking at painted breeze blocks and a solid piece of wood that is big enough to hold the tank.
(Dizzy has decided she likes 'her' new cave).

I'll soon be able to start playing...arranging the various bits of bogwood I have on the wooden base, to get an arrangement I like. When I've done this, I'll take a picture, put the tank in place, add substrate and then the wood, referring to my picture.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back