When ammonia drops but not nitrite and other cycling issues

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Its ok. Im sorry if I came across weird... Its been a long and tiring day on the forum with some things...

Sounds good man!

Tonight's readings after I dosed ammonia very early this morning, to achieve 3-4 ppm.

IMG_7586.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks to be around 2-3ppm ammonia... And it looks to be 0.25 nitrites... You'll get there eventually!
I see ammonia as around 1 ppm-ish and nitrites dropped big time; I see it as between 0-.25. Nitrate between 10-20 ppm.

My eyes are older than yours but look at when I really isolate the colors we're discerning :

IMG_7586 2.jpeg

I see ammonia as around 1 ppm-ish and nitrites dropped big time; I see it as between 0-.25. Nitrate between 10-20 ppm.

My eyes are older than yours but look at when I really isolate the colors we're discerning :

View attachment 155391
Yah thats around 1-2... Sorry the first pic made the ammonia seem darker.

Yah thats around 1-2... Sorry the first pic made the ammonia seem darker.
It'd be nice, and I certainly don't mean necessary, if there were a bit more blank white space between the color rows. Sometimes a nearby hue can influence one's perception of a neighboring hue.

It'd be nice, and I certainly don't mean necessary, if there were a bit more blank white space between the color rows. Sometimes a nearby hue can influence one's perception of a neighboring hue.
What I do is I take the seperate card in the box of the kit and I put the vile against it and bring the color card as close to the vile as possible.

What I do is I take the seperate card in the box of the kit and I put the vile against it and bring the color card as close to the vile as possible.
Rocky you strike me as a kid who wouldn't want to misspell or misunderstand a term or word. So "vial" or test tube is what we use as (amateur) water chemists. Vial, not vile. Very different meaning.

IMG_7586.jpeg

Rocky you strike me as a kid who wouldn't want to misspell or misunderstand a term or word. So "vial" or test tube is what we use as (amateur) water chemists. Vial, not vile. Very different meaning.

View attachment 155392
Oops LOL... Ive never messed that up in my journals or anything thanks

GH/KH kit arrived. GH is 53.7 - took 3 drops to change and then the chart gives that figure. KH I cannot get a reading. No amount of drops changes the color. These are figures from the tank water. From the tap I get a KH reading similar to GH if not closer to 70 ppm. Should I add baking soda and or do a water change?

The water parameters are getting dialed in otherwise. Today ammonia is down to about 1 ppm, slightly less perhaps. Nitrite is at 0 and nitrate is between 20-40 ppm.

Thanks

Are they the API testers? What colour is the water after adding the first KH drop?

You can do whichever you feel happier doing. A large water change will replenish the KH to near tap level, but you may need to do more if the level drops again. Baking soda is easier than a water change, but you may prefer not to add something that's not found naturally in water.

Are they the API testers? What colour is the water after adding the first KH drop?

You can do whichever you feel happier doing. A large water change will replenish the KH to near tap level, but you may need to do more if the level drops again. Baking soda is easier than a water change, but you may prefer not to add something that's not found naturally in water.
Yes, I forgot to mention - the API test. After one drop it is the palest of blue, then with each subsequent drop it darkens. I don’t mind doing a water change I just wondered if it will interrupt the cycle or something, which to a novice like me, appeared to be near completion.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back