What’s your worst nightmare regarding your fish/pets?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Only some of these will be used on a regular basis anyway, but I always have these to hand;

Algae remover.
Anti-bacteria medication.
Anti-fungus medication.
Anti-ich medication.
Aquarium Salt...used on a regular basis.
General Cure medication.
Live bacteria.
Plant food...used on a regular basis.
Water Conditioner...used on a regular basis.
Don't need most of these. Salt, water conditioner and plant fertiliser are about all you need.

If you have medications, try to keep them cool and dry and out of light because these things cause the reagents to break down quickly. I kept my test kits and medications in a bucket with lid on the bottom shelf of the fridge.
Make sure children and animals can't get to the medications/ chemicals because they are dangerous.

Check the expiry dates on medications and test kits too. If they have gone off, take them to a chemist and ask them to dispose of them for you.

Don't need most of these. Salt, water conditioner and plant fertiliser are about all you need.

...And there's many out there who would swear blind that you don't even need those. ;)

As I said, these are tools for emergencies only and, with care, they shouldn't ever be needed. If they are required, much care again is required in their usage.
I can, probably like many in here, remember when such pills and potions, chemicals and lotions became readily available and were used all the time, at the slightest inkling of trouble and were, as such, wholly abused...along with the poor fish.
It's good to see that the hobby has since moved on, although there is a suggestion that the pendulum may have swung a little too far the other way.
Personally, I consider meds as I would that tool in my multi-function penknife, to poke stones out of horse's hooves*. They are tools for the tool box, just some amongst many.

*And yes...whilst on the Pennine Way for my Queen's Scout, I did come across a damsel in distress with a lame pony and was able to save the day with my pokey-out tool and have never used it since.:cool:

One of the worst nightmares happened last night! We seem to have had a power outage at some point. I don't know how long it lasted as most things were back on again, apart from those items on an RCD which tripped and needed restarting this morning. I'm so relieved it didn't last. I have one battery air pump and uncycled sponge filter so I need to get better prepared.

One of the worst nightmares happened last night! We seem to have had a power outage at some point. I don't know how long it lasted as most things were back on again, apart from those items on an RCD which tripped and needed restarting this morning. I'm so relieved it didn't last. I have one battery air pump and uncycled sponge filter so I need to get better prepared.
I have a roll of bubblewrap and a thermal blanket for such an eventuality. The battery air pump is a great idea.

Do you mean that in very rainy Cumbria you still have blue skies o_O

Edit - just looked at the weather forecast, and yes you do - it's only the east side of the country that is cloudy, though that's supposed to clear this afternoon. And I can see a tiny patch of blue through the window.

Do you mean that in very rainy Cumbria you still have blue skies o_O

Edit - just looked at the weather forecast, and yes you do - it's only the east side of the country that is cloudy, though that's supposed to clear this afternoon. And I can see a tiny patch of blue through the window.
We finally have clouds and some rain. Good for the garden.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back