Whats wrong with my guppy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Oomi

Reaction score
My guppy has torn fins and small white dots near his tail. I got him a few days ago and he was doing fine. This morning he didnt seem interested im eating amd i came home to this. Could someone tell me whats wrong and what i can do to fix it? And could it spread? He lives with a calm betta, 2 cory cats, and 3 other guppies in a 10 gallon.
20191017_213313.jpg

When you say calm Betta, what do you mean? Male Bettas will potentially see male guppies as other Bettas and attack them. If you've also got 3 other males they could be targetting this guppy too. It really depends on the balance you have. 4 male guppies and a male Betta is just asking for trouble.

As an aside, Corys are sociable fish and should really be in a group of 5 minimum.

When you say calm Betta, what do you mean? Male Bettas will potentially see male guppies as other Bettas and attack them. If you've also got 3 other males they could be targetting this guppy too. It really depends on the balance you have. 4 male guppies and a male Betta is just asking for trouble.

As an aside, Corys are sociable fish and should really be in a group of 5 minimum.

What i mean by calm is that he has no care in the world about other fish. Im not sure of the genders of the other 3 guppies. And will it be too much in a 10 gallon tank if i added more cories?

Donā€™t add anything else until you get this under control. This is why all new fish should be quarantined before adding to the main tank. Can you see anything moving like a parasite? The dots look large but it could be ich. Turn the heat up to 86F and leave it there for 2 weeks. Do water changes every 2 days and vacuum the substrate at the same time. Normally I would say to add aquarium salt but I donā€™t believe the cories can tolerate it. Please, next time quarantine new fish for at least a week. Itā€™s not fair to your other fish to expose them to diseases.

Donā€™t add anything else until you get this under control. This is why all new fish should be quarantined before adding to the main tank. Can you see anything moving like a parasite? The dots look large but it could be ich. Turn the heat up to 86F and leave it there for 2 weeks. Do water changes every 2 days and vacuum the substrate at the same time. Normally I would say to add aquarium salt but I donā€™t believe the cories can tolerate it. Please, next time quarantine new fish for at least a week. Itā€™s not fair to your other fish to expose them to diseases.
Update: he died during the night and i removed him (obviously). I didn't have another tank to quarantine them, and the only other thing in there was the betta. I wasn't planning on adding anything else anytime soon. I'll still try to do what you said though. I'm a beginner. Please don't attack me. I'm trying my best

Just be aware that the betta could be the culprit here. If that is the case your other guppies may be at risk too. If you aren't able to get another tank it may be best to ask if the store will take them back.

Just be aware that the betta could be the culprit here. If that is the case your other guppies may be at risk too. If you aren't able to get another tank it may be best to ask if the store will take them back.
Im keeping very close watch and im seeing how things go for the next couple of days. If absolutely anything happens, im going to move my betta into his own tank.

Update: he died during the night and i removed him (obviously). I didn't have another tank to quarantine them, and the only other thing in there was the betta. I wasn't planning on adding anything else anytime soon. I'll still try to do what you said though. I'm a beginner. Please don't attack me. I'm trying my best
Iā€™m sorry you lost your fish. No one is attacking you. We only want you to learn. You can get a plastic food safe storage container to use as a QT tank. If you live in the States, Walmart has Sterlite ones that are opaque and cheap. You can drill holes in the top for air. Many of us use these. Things will get better, I promise. :)

Iā€™m sorry you lost your fish. No one is attacking you. We only want you to learn. You can get a plastic food safe storage container to use as a QT tank. If you live in the States, Walmart has Sterlite ones that are opaque and cheap. You can drill holes in the top for air. Many of us use these. Things will get better, I promise. :)
Thank you. I just felt really bad about it earlier but i feel better now. The more i think about it he might have been sick in the beginning :(. And i didnt know you could use plastic bins, so ill def do that next time. Ive been thinking about getting a second tank and doing this: 10 gallon with 6 cories, my betta, and my mystery snail, and another 10 gallon with a dwarf gourami, 4 guppies, and 4 dwarf cories (or something else idk yet)

Thank you. I just felt really bad about it earlier but i feel better now. The more i think about it he might have been sick in the beginning :(. And i didnt know you could use plastic bins, so ill def do that next time. Ive been thinking about getting a second tank and doing this: 10 gallon with 6 cories, my betta, and my mystery snail, and another 10 gallon with a dwarf gourami, 4 guppies, and 4 dwarf cories (or something else idk yet)
Weā€™ve all learned the same way you are. I have a foot long comet goldfish in a patio pond now because I didnā€™t know how big they got. He started out in. 2.5 gallon tank. Lol!

Wow thats
Weā€™ve all learned the same way you are. I have a foot long comet goldfish in a patio pond now because I didnā€™t know how big they got. He started out in. 2.5 gallon tank. Lol!
Oh wow! Thats crazy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back