Whats This?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ethos

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Anyone know what this is? It came on my LR.

a3b57799.jpg

If you're talking about the thing in the center of the picture, it looks like coral to me, I should know, I was in the bahamas scuba diving a few weeks ago.

Anyone know what this is? It came on my LR.

a3b57799.jpg

Wow, pretty!

I don't know that it's bad, so I would keep other corals well away from it until you know otherwise.

-Lynden
Formerly ChestnutMoray55. So you finally got that old nano set up!

If you're talking about the thing in the center of the picture, it looks like coral to me, I should know, I was in the bahamas scuba diving a few weeks ago.

Well, you might need a few more trips. It looks more like Macroalgae to me. If its either, its terribly bleached and might not survive. How is its structure? Calcium carbonate? Soft? Did it have colour before you added it?

Yep it looks like a macro algae.
Any chance of a picture without the glare of actinics?

I must be blind...

The picture reminds me of when my Halimeda decided to bleach and die. However a small fragment was left, which later provided the basis for my refugiums. It grew rapidly, but never recovered the "leaves" that the Halimeda had before.

-Lynden

I'm guessing its dead. A few peices of it have moved around the tank - they look like they chipped off. It use to be pink but now it looks "bleached" white. I'm guessing its dead and I plan on removing it next time I add more LR - now my LR is turning brown, is this normal? I've spotted a very very tiny green branchy thing!

If its furry brown instead of slimy brown then yes, very normal. Furry brown algae in new tanks is 99% of the time diatom algae. Just about any cleanup crew member eats it, so you might want to consider adding some to cow down :good:. Whats your bio chemistry like (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate)?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back