What's This On Leafs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

baker360360

Fishaholic
Reaction score
It dosnt wipe of and snails fail to clean it. It's on the big top leafs. There are about 9 new leafs growing near the roots.

If you need a close up pic just ask I can post later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 57
black hair algae? hard to tell on that pic try get a better lit picture :)

I'm thinking algae too.  I hate quite a lot of trouble with algae, brown and brown hair (due to high lighting) on my anubias.  I have dimmed the lights by putting an opaque layer between and after a couple weeks that hard to scrub brown stuff that wouldn't come off is about 90% gone, still a few spots but loads better.

Probably the onset of brush algae, very common on anubias leaves. How low are your nitrate levels? Excel or Easy carbo overdosing or spot treating the affected leaves will help removing it.

On memory. I think 15
That's on the day of water changes before I do them
My stock is low and using 2 good filters , are you thinking lack of nutrients, could it be the lights are burning them?

That is low for plants in my opinion, my nitrates are quite high by comparison now reading 40ppm on my API test kit, but with quite low phosphate results on my JBL test kit of 1mg/l my Algae is at an all time low. but it's finding that right combo of lights and nutrients I honestly think it's easier to solve a Rubik cube one handed and blind folded :)

KirkyArcher said:
That is low for plants in my opinion, my nitrates are quite high by comparison now reading 40ppm on my API test kit, but with quite low phosphate results on my JBL test kit of 1mg/l my Algae is at an all time low. but it's finding that right combo of lights and nutrients I honestly think it's easier to solve a Rubik cube one handed and blind folded :)
as my cichlids get bigger my nitrates will rise too. So I will be getting more nutrients from the fish right. Only thing I hear cichlids are slow growers so will have to wait a bit.

What do you suggest I do? As I've got more plant being delivered tomorrow
Also like to add my takes had diatoms lately

Get the plants in asap that hopefully will help once they get established and a weekly dose with some decent plant food would do no harm, I can recommend Tetra PlantaMin

KirkyArcher said:
Get the plants in asap that hopefully will help once they get established and a weekly dose with some decent plant food would do no harm, I can recommend Tetra PlantaMin
Got a shed load of java moss in and over half a dozen java fern steams. Gonna order some of that fertilizer you recommended.

Flow, is the easiest way to combat bba,(black brush algae). It cannot take high flow. Had a problem with it myself. Upped the flow and it died out.
As for diatoms, wipe off plants, glass, et cetera, and wait it out. It should fade away in a few weeks.

cut the bad leaves off... promote new healthy growth. job done. no expense

frapadoodle said:
Flow, is the easiest way to combat bba,(black brush algae). It cannot take high flow. Had a problem with it myself. Upped the flow and it died out.
As for diatoms, wipe off plants, glass, et cetera, and wait it out. It should fade away in a few weeks.
Noticed my flow is hitting all plants apart from this. I'm worried if I increase flow it will be too much for the new java moss and rip it all up. ( no room to move it either)

Nick16 said:
cut the bad leaves off... promote new healthy growth. job done. no expense
Was thinking about this as there are lots of new leafs below that arnt really growing fast.

Think I'm gonna increase flow slightly. Cut the 2 worst affected and get some ferts

Got some fertalizer today and added so fingers crossed.

Will active carbon destroy the ferts?

it will certainly absorb some if not most of the nutrients (trace elements) in liquid ferts.
edit there are some activated carbons that don't impact as highly as others though edit

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back