Whats The Worst Advice You've Been Given?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

marnold00

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
OK so, little bit of background. My LFS is part of a UK chain (I won't drop names but it isn't P@H, its a chain aquatics store, definitely nothing to do with Maidenhead.............), and the one I use is great. It isn't huge but they have very nice healthy fish, staff who give solid advice - it sometimes differs to here, but it's mostly very similar. The boss is especially knowledgeable, and he has not differed to any advice here.

So I was out for a drive this evening and saw a store belonging to this chain and it was a really big one so I thought I'd go have a peek. Absolutely huge, and an amazing array of fish, ranging from fully grown ones to absolutely tiny fry. So I was having a nosey and I overhear the boss (he was telling other staff what to do next etc. what to price etc etc)  and I hear some questionable advice. I put this down to mishearing. He then comes and asks if I'm alright, and we get chatting and he has a poke about my tank, stocking etc. I know I'm not buying fish for months, and I already know what I'm going to finish my stocking list with... But I explain its a 65l tank currently with 7 cherry barbs etc etc etc and then he goes full salesman. 

I'll write what he said in speech marks, and butt in with my thoughts at the time with hyphens... it'll be obvious

"OK so, the tank isn't huge but it could be great. In one this size you could have say 15 to 20" - OK looking good here. He's gonna say 15-20 inches. - "fish total." - facepalm - " So you've got room for another 13 fish" - this is gonna be good - " would you aim for any bottom feeders?" - I say yes. Aiming for cories. - "OK Cool. Well let me show you these guys first. They're great. They're only small, but they like being in a group so you'll need atleast 4." - ok cool i'm gonna get shown some funky cories - "So these guys are called yo-yo loaches. As I say, they're only little, and you could easily fit 4 if not more along with your cherry barbs. " - facepalm again. I even point out the sign where it says Maximum Size: 15cm. Minimum tank 120l - "Yes but they aren't fully grown all their life. Ok so, loaches like to hide so you should still aim to get 4 or 5 cories, and then maybe  4 of these Croaking gouramis".

THIS WAS THE MANAGER OF THE STORE.

I couldn't believe it. If he'd tried to push for maybe a couple of croaking gouramis on top of the cories I could ALMOST understand it... but like, my final stocking is going to have no room for any further bioload at all. Its going to be pushing it I think. This man is giving this advice to people new to the hobby and who haven't had the luck of stumbling across forums like this...

So, what can you guys top this with?

Well heres a good LFS story, it wasn't directed towards me though I just overheard it.

So my LFS is Petco, and this was before I moved (Petco is still my lfs here in AR),  so I walk into Petco, looking around for no reason as usual right. And I see this lady walk in, she seems to be in her early 40's or so? She went to the person working in the fish area, and the conversation was this...

Lady: Excuse me sir, may I have a refund for a fish that died?

Guy: Yea sure, did you bring the fish?

Lady: Yea here he is, *hands the guy a fish in the Petco BAG*

Guy: aww poor guy, how did he die? we only accept fish refunds with certain accidents.

Lady: I don't know really... I went home and I put him in the fridge.

Me in my head: in the fridge.... I will find you... I will go full hunter on you lady! -_-

Guy: Im sorry ma'am Im not going to be able to give you a refund. Also next time may I suggest you not put your fish in a fridge, but in a tank.

Maybe her tank had a chiller on it and she thought that she needed to match the bag water temp to the tank temp by lowering the bags' water temp? And as well all know how do we cool things down aside using airconditioning? We use a fridge.

Dont know if that was the case but possible.

A while ago i was having algae issues and i go into my LFS to get advice. I was told to put two common plecos in my 40Gal tank as they wont excede 4 inches and i had a 40Gal tank so i could easily have 8 inches of fish plus whatever else id like 

I think my worst advice story was a guy who suggested I could have up to 10 shubunkins (basically multi-coloured comet goldfish) in my 130l tank. At less than an inch long, they enjoyed the tank and my kids enjoyed watching them.

They did great for a couple of months, then I lost a few, then I discovered this forum. By the time I had realised my mistake, the remaining three were 6-8" long, they'd suck up and spit out the entire gravel substrate all day (which destroyed my plants), and the largest would swim between the filter intake and the tank wall and knock it off repeatedly. Luckily he never did it at night, and I never burned out the filter motor.

Great big messy buggers in a tank that wasn't large enough for a single one of them. I was fortunate enough to find a LFS who took them off my hands and I sincerely hope they didn't suffer too badly from stunting (but intellectually I know they probably did).

I saw a news article recently where there's a river system in Australia that has a wild colony of goldfish that are getting towards 3' long!

oh god this is a story, my LFS told me i could keep saltwater fish in a freshwater aquarium as long as i put salt in it!!
I'm thankful as heck to know that this is certainly not the case! They recommended a random filter, a normal heater and sand, they did not even mention a chiller or live coral. They also told me i could add the fish in the next day!! 
I'm very thankful i know LFS are not always right, PetCo and PetSmart should go back to selling dog food!

Was once told I could keep a fighting fish in cold water. It died two weeks later :(

The things salesmen will do for an easy sell. What they obviously dont realise is if they give good advice, that person will do well which means Theyll keep coming back, theyll have more confidence in keeping more expensive fish, theyll get a new tank etc etc.

Nope. Im silly. Lets just make £5 and never see them again because they give up because their fish died in under a month

Sometimes the customers can be just as bad mind. I do think there needs to be something done about the way fish are sold. You wouldn't sell a cat to be kept in a tiny cage where it never gets cleaned out, and is simply fed every day to keep it alive. So why sell goldfish etc to be kept in tiny 'fish' bowls? [emoji34]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My LFS asks for a picture/video of your current tank setup which is kinda neat i guess. Best they can do short of physically coming to have a look

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back