Whats The Preferred Food For A Large Catfish

Soaup

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a catfish who eats my floating cichlid food and the occasional goldfish but i know thats not the best diet. What do you all recomend the food floats and he has troubles grabbing it so im looking for a sinking food. He is in a 125 gallon tank by himself. Thanks

If it really is a channel catfish do you realise that they can grow to 4ft and are from cold water areas and would really only appreciate life in a large pond.

You should be feeding it carnivore pellets and possibly things like whitebait, prawn etc. aswell.

Ben

Yeah i realised after the fact. You know the pet stores. "yeah yeah that tank is plenty big enough" I intend on buiding a pond sometime in the near future. I live in NY it gets cold here. What do i do about the winter Do i allow the pond to freeze over or is there something i should do to keep the pond heated for the fish?

i know a fish farm over here and there feed there channles whole trout but there also love the large trout pellets you can get as there really oily

Yeah i realised after the fact. You know the pet stores. "yeah yeah that tank is plenty big enough" I intend on buiding a pond sometime in the near future. I live in NY it gets cold here. What do i do about the winter Do i allow the pond to freeze over or is there something i should do to keep the pond heated for the fish?

You don't want to let it freeze over completely, but for a channel catfish your pond should be 3ft deep anyway. As long as you have a hole in the ice (pond heater or whatever) then this will allow gases to be exchanged which is all you need.

Ben

Whats a good size pond dimensions for the fish, A 3 ft by ???? Suppose i was to put a few more fish maybe some koi along with another cat???

If you want to mix it with koi you need an absolute minimum of a 12x8x3 ft pond. Bare in mind you WILL need filtration on the pond, probably a box filter with a waterfall or fountain.

You want the pond big enough for the catfish to swim around in, so the bigger you can build the better, ideally i would try a 12x12x3ft pond.

Ben

As a volume you should be looking at 2500gallons for the cat and to filter it you need to be looking at some large bay filters,I'm not sure whats availible to you over there but you should look into good quality koi pond filters which will do the job for you, don't expect to do this cheaply though.

when feeding any catfish pellet for a large cat you need to watch for polution. like suggested the trout pellets being very oily a handfull of them will easily pollute and force a water change in even 5ft tanks.

i suggest feeding meaty foods such as lance fish, prawns, mussels, squid, large fish pieces (trout, salmon etc)

you don't really have mouch time before your cat will need to be moved into much large enviroment.

Can this be done with about $1000?? I dig all i need is rocks, pool liner and a filter/pump? Has anyone build a pond like this that you may be able to help me out with how its done?

I don't think a kockney koi are availible over seas but if you find a US bassed koi site they can help you out on building a pond for it.

My pond cost around £2000 to build although that has very tip top filtration which was £800. I'm not sure of what you can get hold of in the US so that will be down to you to find out.

Most reactions

Back