Whats the minium size tank for african cichlids?

A 29 gallon is good for a few types of Africans, but he needs to be careful and do some research because it's too small for most of them. Really he'd need to be on here to answer some questions, like what he's interested in.

So, I have an African Cichlid (I believe a peacock-but got it from Walmart, so they are vague) in a 29 gallon tank right now....

He is the only guy in my tank, (I work the tank around him), and I just got a 55 gallon tank. I researched, after getting him, and found that a lot of people were saying he would be great in a 29 gallon....I am finding he is outgrowing that, but my question is:

Do you think a 55 gallon, will be a good final home for him, or am I probably going to have to go bigger, in the future?

So, I have an African Cichlid (I believe a peacock-but got it from Walmart, so they are vague) in a 29 gallon tank right now....

He is the only guy in my tank, (I work the tank around him), and I just got a 55 gallon tank. I researched, after getting him, and found that a lot of people were saying he would be great in a 29 gallon....I am finding he is outgrowing that, but my question is:

Do you think a 55 gallon, will be a good final home for him, or am I probably going to have to go bigger, in the future?

Hi there, welcome to the forum :)

The main reason most people keep Africans in big tanks is because they're trying to keep a community; and that needs the fish to be slightly overcrowded to stop any bullies being able to target an individual, weaker fish.

If you're just keeping him on his own, a 55 gallon should be plenty big enough, as most Rift Valley cichlids don't grow very large (between four and six inches in length), but it might be a good idea to post a picture of your fish so we can help you positively identify his species, just in case :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back