Whats The Easiest Way To Catch 5 Serpae's

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

woody0687

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have 5 Serpaes that i need to get out of my tank. These went in through bad advice.

i have a fluval edge 46L so access is not the best. 

I need an easy(ish) way of removing them without disrupting all the plants etc and causing a stir.

Any tips?

Cheers

Anthony

1. Get all plants/ ornaments out ( not gravel ) .
2. Get lots of water out
3. Try to use your hand to guide them in to the net.

I did this with my tiger barbs. It took me 1 hour to catch them without this method. Then I used this method and it took me 15-20 mins. ;)

Simple answer is "No". I once tried to remove 6 zebra danios from a tank, and it was an absolute nightmare. Best tip I can give you is to drain the tank down as much as is practical.

only advice i can think of is using 2 nets and bending them to fit through the hole, or like TallTree said use one hand to guide them into the net.
i can imagen how much of a nightmare it must be with a fluval edge, let us know how you got on/how you did it :)

ReddSam said:
only advice i can think of is using 2 nets and bending them to fit through the hole, or like TallTree said use one hand to guide them into the net.
i can imagen how much of a nightmare it must be with a fluval edge, let us know how you got on/how you did it :)

Going for it this afternoon so will let you know!!

I did a 25% water change 2 days ago so roughly how much could I get away with taking out?

As much as you like. Don't forget to switch your heater/filter off first though!

You can always put the water back in once you've caught the fish. Also, don't forget, that if the tank is going to be empty (of fish), you'll need to either add more fish or feed the filter bacteria with some fish food or ammonia to keep it ticking over, or you'll have have to recycle!

fluttermoth said:
As much as you like. Don't forget to switch your heater/filter off first though!

You can always put the water back in once you've caught the fish. Also, don't forget, that if the tank is going to be empty (of fish), you'll need to either add more fish or feed the filter bacteria with some fish food or ammonia to keep it ticking over, or you'll have have to recycle!
Never thought of st phoning the water then putting it back in!! Top tip, nice one!

Fish caught I. Under 10 minutes only had to take out 1 small plant! Used my hand to get them into the open then a net!! Beginners luck maybe?!!!

No, tips from us ;) :p

The trick with catching fish is to go slow and persuade them into a net held still. They're much faster, in their own element, than you are, so chasing with a net is very rarely successful!

I was watching a shop attendee trying to catch a zebra danio yesterday! Poor guy! He called for reinforcements, by the time he got one there were three attendants flailing about with nets in the tank! :p :rofl:

TallTree01 said:
I was watching a shop attendee trying to catch a zebra danio yesterday! Poor guy! He called for reinforcements, by the time he got one there were three attendants flailing about with nets in the tank!
tongue2.gif
rofl.gif
Oh my dear lord!

You'd think that, of all people, LFS assistants would at least know how to net a fish 
rolleyes.gif

fluttermoth said:
I was watching a shop attendee trying to catch a zebra danio yesterday! Poor guy! He called for reinforcements, by the time he got one there were three attendants flailing about with nets in the tank!
tongue2.gif
rofl.gif
Oh my dear lord!

You'd think that, of all people, LFS assistants would at least know how to net a fish 
rolleyes.gif

Why? They know diddly-squat else.
(In general, certain members of the forum who work in fish shops are the exceptions)

Catching kuhlis and Plecoes I would imagine would be nigh on impossible!

Kulhis and plecos (and cories for that matter) are best not netted. I keep old internal filter canisters, or margarine tubs, and chase the fish into that instead. A lot of catfish and loaches are pretty spiky and get tangled up very easily.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back