What's the best option in your opinion for my 10g?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What Stocking choice to you think is best for a standard 10g?

• 8 neon tetras, 1 (peaceful) Betta, 4 cherry shrimp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 Endlers livebears

• 8 ember tetras, 5 amano shrimp, 2 nerite snails

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • 1 Betta, 7-8 Endlers,

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 5 - 6 neon tetras, 4 Endlers

• None or other

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
Ok, cool. Could I possibly put my Betta in there? He's been with other fish for months and is fine with it. Or would that make it too overstocked?
Some bettas work in community settings, but most don't...if he's been with other fish, and there have been no issues (which you can only be certain of by watching the tank 24/7*), it may be OK....but have a plan to quickly move him if things don't go well

*Which is impossible, for most fishkeepers

The mg/l is the same as ppm, just different ways to measure but the numbers are equal. The dH (degrees) I always include as some sites/members use dH and some ppm. Just so you know, you can covert back and forth using the number 17.9, so in your case 100 ppm is divided by 17.9 to get the equivalent 5.5 dH, and the 120 ppm is divided to get 6.7 dH, which can be averaged to say your water is around 6 dH which is soft. Ideal for almost any plants, and well suited to all soft water fish (as far as parameters go, tank size is still another issue). To convert in reverse, multiply the dH number by 17.9 for equivalent ppm.

Yes, ask questions, we all did and learned, I've ben in this hobby 30 years and this past year I still learned things.

No, do not put a Bettain with any of these fish. Some bettas "appear" mild-mannered, but the majority are anything but in reality, and it may suddenly happen one night. And small fish find betta fins appealing to nip. Too risky.

Substrate should be sand, something as inexpensive as quality play sand, in NA it is Quikrete Play Sand from Lowe's or Home Depot, in UK it is Argos play Sand. This not only works better in small tanks, but the cories must have sand.

Suitable fish for the 10g would include Ember Tetras, Boraras species of dwarf rasbora, pygmy cories, and given the time I could dig out some others. The more common tetras though are going to feel crowded in this tank. All of these are shoaling/schooling species, and that means at least 10 of the species, or more, for their best interest and health. I had a 10g several years ago that was an experiment of sorts; no filter, no light, just a heater (it was in front of a west-facing window). Sand substrate. I had 11 or 12 Boraras brigittae, and 10 Corydoras pygmaeus. These were the only fish suited to this tank on hand, but I cold have added other species if I had them locally. This tank thrived for a year, with weekly 50-60% water changes. It was planted, and thick with floating plants.

I just wanted to jump on my soapbox quick and echo what others have already said...please don't put your betta with other fish. Bettas are fiercely territorial and mostly live in solitary by choice. Even if you've already got him with other fish and nothing has happened doesn't mean that he's not stressed and having a happy time.

I really love that you ask questions, I wish more people did! And it's not just about asking the questions but also having the humility to take on and apply the advice given 😊 asking questions doesn't make you dumb, NOT asking questions KEEPS you dumb 👍🏻

Thank you! What could be a centerpiece fish for the 10g? Dwarf honey gourami maybe?

Thank you! What could be a centerpiece fish for the 10g? Dwarf honey gourami maybe?
I would not consider a gourami. Even the smallest species, the pygmy sparkling gourami, needs more space as it is best in a group of five or six (though not a shoaling/schooling species, gourami are best in small groups of appropriate gender ratio). A lone gourami is not a good idea. The honey gourami is good in a trio, in a 20g (24-inch length) tank or larger.

"Centerpiece" fish is difficult if not next to impossible in small tanks. Even a 20g poses problems for this. You are better with groups of nano fish, there will be more interesting behaviours with in the shoals of a species. And no one is going to live in fear of being eaten or harassed.

I am looking for some suggestions for my 10g tank. It will be fully planted and I am hoping my Betta could go in there. Ph is neutral, and my smaller planted tank with multiple fish has been doing great for over 6 months. I would appreciate other suggestions, as I am still learning about fishkeeping!
I have a 10 gal planted. I dont have a betta but stocked mine with 2 neons, 2 dwarf emeralds, 2 pencils, 1 clown killi, 2 kitty tetras and a snail.
(I have bought 3 and 4 of some a kinds but only 2 of them always survived)

I have a 10 gal planted. I dont have a betta but stocked mine with 2 neons, 2 dwarf emeralds, 2 pencils, 1 clown killi, 2 kitty tetras and a snail.
..and I just added 2 forktail rainbows to it (actually 3 but 1 died)

..and I just added 2 forktail rainbows to it (actually 3 but 1 died)

From what I know of, some of the fish you have stocked in your 10gal need to be in a school of 10, of their own kind, otherwise they will not thrive, and their health will deteriorate. @Byron will be able to explain this better.

Also I once had 10 neons myself, and over time they slowly died one by one, I put this down to being the fact that most neons these days are very weak due to mass breeding. However the point i’m getting too is that, the last two surviving became aggressive towards one another, and this was because they was not in school of 10.

@BettaFishGirl I have a 10g Tank, which is moderately planted, I would say and my water is soft water like yours. I have 10 Pygmy Corys, which are great bottom dwellers that are constantly out and about picking through the sand. They do also often swim mid level together, which is interesting to watch. I currently do a 50% water change weekly and my Nitrate levels are always at 0ppm, before I do the weekly water change.

I soon will be adding another ‘nano fish species’ in to my tank. again these will be in a school of 10. So I will have a total of 20 nano fish in my 10gal tank, but with plenty of plants and a routine 50% water change every 7 days, I know my water Nitrate levels will stay low, causing no harm to the fish. and keeping them in schools of 10, keeps them happy and feeling safe, so ultimately they will be healthy.

I hope that what I have said gives you some guidance in selecting suitable fish for your tank
p.s I would avoid neon tetras, as they are generally of quite poor health, when they come from most pet stores.

From what I know of, some of the fish you have stocked in your 10gal need to be in a school of 10, of their own kind, otherwise they will not thrive, and their health will deteriorate. @Byron will be able to explain this better.

Also I once had 10 neons myself, and over time they slowly died one by one, I put this down to being the fact that most neons these days are very weak due to mass breeding. However the point i’m getting too is that, the last two surviving became aggressive towards one another, and this was because they was not in school of 10.

I have my 2 Neons since I started (last Fall) and the others a month or so after. Now they all are 1“ + and seem to be doing well in twos. I heard that they are more colorful in a group but the ones I have show up well and I like looking at the variety..

I have my 2 Neons since I started (last Fall) and the others a month or so after. Now they all are 1“ + and seem to be doing well in twos. I heard that they are more colorful in a group but the ones I have show up well and I like looking at the variety..
The thing you have to understand is that schooling is a defense mechanism. Think about it. A neon tetra does not blend into it's environment very well. Just the opposite. That's because they aren't trying to blend into their environment. They're trying to blend in with each other. A predator sees a group of them and it can't focus on any single one of them. Grouping together is how many species of animals defend themselves. That's why fish school, birds flock and buffalo herd.
When schooling fish aren't in a sufficient school, they are living in fear of being eaten all the time. And studies have shown that it affects their behavior and/or their health.

I do already have 6 neon tetras, could I move them into my 10 gallon? They seem to be of great health and I've hed them for over 4 months

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back