What's next?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
So I've got a little breeding operation going on in my basement - it's small enough that it doesn't require more than 2-3 hours of work per week, but big enough that I am easily turning a profit.

Currently I am breeding:
Dark Knight / Black Rams
Gold Rams
Cockatoo Apistogramma

I have the space to breed one other fish but can't decide what to breed. Here are the requirements that I have:
1. The average selling price must be $8 or more
2. It must be able to live in a 20g long or high.
3. I would prefer the cichlid family as they make great parents.

I have very hard water but I use re-mineralized RO for all of the fish that I breed so I'm okay with fish across the water spectrum.

I am thinking of breeding Pelvicachromis Kribensis (formerly Taeniatus) "Kienke" or "Moliwe" but am open to suggestions.

Any thoughts?

Pelvicachromis subocellatus sell more readily than P. taeniatus. Still not a big seller tho.

What about small species of rainbowfish like Melanotaenia praecox?

That's a good suggestion! I'll look into them! I've never bred a rainbowfish before so it'd be a new challenge!

In my (personal) opinion, P. Taeniatus "Kienke" is a more beautiful fish . Why do you believe that subocellatus sells more readily?

We sold more subocellatus than taeniatus in the shop. The female subs just coloured up really well and people wanted them over the taeniatus.

wholesale or retail?

I was thinking retail prices so they get 1/3 to 1/2 that when they sell them
Good point - I was thinking when he said avg selling price, he meant to him not retail...could be he meant avg retail selling price.... And you're correct. Typically, here in the states, a hobbyist/breeder will get 1/3 retail price. :)

Good point!

$8 selling to someone else.

Cockatoo Apistos sell around here at LFS (if you can even find them) for 12-14. I'm selling boatloads locally at $8 a piece.

Dark Knight Rams are being sold at $45 a fish and I discount to $35 if they buy 3 or more. This seems to be in line with the going rates on Aquabid and lower than ordering from a LFS (sometimes I see them go for $60!).

I've been selling Gold Rams for $12-14 a piece. Just sold a breeding pair for $40.

@Colin_T thanks for the advice in what you had experience in selling!

If the OP wants $8 a fish, then don't worry about the rainbows. Most don't sell wholesale for that much unless they are big.

You could look into smaller catfish (possibly unusual Corydoras or Peckoltia catfish, or zebra bristlenose), or maybe Synodontis petricola, although they might be too big for the tank.

I have said it before, Breed whiptail catfish. They will yield you the best return. Next to them is Black Angels.

I have said it before, Breed whiptail catfish. They will yield you the best return. Next to them is Black Angels.
I know a guy who breeds Koi Angels with HIGH orange coverage and they go for quite a bit. Unfortunately, I do not have the tank space to breed Angelfish or I definitely would. I need to breed something a bit smaller.

Can you explain your recommendation for breeding whiptail catfish? Looks like they are pretty easy to breed and have a wide range of acceptable water tolerance and a lower price point which to me would make it a less appealing fish to breed. They are very cool looking!

I've bred Bristlenose before and I know a few in the area that already breed some really nice once - so I don't think that would be a wise decision for me.
oh, then go for some of the rarer plecos, if you can fit a 30 gallon in your fish room then you could try going for some hypancistrus contradens or some hypancistrus debillittera l129, they are the same to breed as bristle noses but with more meat and fewer veggies in their diet

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back