What's my shrimp?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ross852

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to this forum and posted the same question on a different thread but it was old so I guess I'll leave it here too..

I bought what I was told were ghost shrimp but they seem to be getting a darker as they get bigger (about an inch big now).

Was wondering if anyone could help identify them and confirm that this little one is berried??

IMG_0124.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG

Looks more like an amono shrimp when looking at the dark spots on its sides. I think you are in luck, amono shrimp are better algae eaters and can actually reproduce in fresh water whereas ghost shrimp cannot develop well w/o salt in the water.

Amano shrimps can't breed in fresh water. The shrimps do mate, resulting in fertilised eggs which the females carry, but amano larvae in nature are washed down to salt water where they grow, metamorphose into shrimps then swim back up river. The larvae need salt water and will die almost as soon as they hatch in fresh water.

Glass/ghost/grass shrimps (different names, same shrimp) can breed in freshwater. Like amanos, the eggs hatch into larvae rather than miniature shrimps like other shrimp species. But the difficulty of feeding these larvae means that very few ever survive.

(Details from planetinverts)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back