Whats Happening To My Fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

hard to sex neons.. Cardinals are more colourful/brighter.

Neons generally, have more difficulties in a newly set-up tank than other tetras. They also have a disease named after them "Neon tetra disease", I believe. But, if they go into a newly cycled tank, you will lose a few. But, I've not had a problem with my neons. I bought 9. One died over the first night (not sure why), but I replaced it and haven't lost one since.

Would the cardinals be ok with platys? Also do they need to be in groups?

They will get along fine, but ultimately, I think that you might not want to do it. Platies prefer water that has a higher pH and harder water, whereas cardinals generally prefer softer water with a lower pH. Cardinals (just like all tetras that I know of) are shoaling fish, and need to be in groups. If you are looking for some other fish to go with the platies that like similar water conditions, sticking with livebearers might be the best choice.

Livebearers:

Larger ones (3+ inches)
mollies - come in black, silver, dalmation, yellow and orange.
swordtails - come in basically all the same color varieties as platies and have been known to cross breed with them.

Smaller ones (2 inches or less)
guppies - comes in variety of colors (blue, red, yellow, orange, etc.
endlers - similar to guppies but smaller, have been known to breed with guppies.

i'm not sure i believe this..as my PH is 7.5 (very soft water), my platties have been fine...and i bought 6 Cardinal Tetra today. they aren't bothered with them at all!

I'm not saying that they can't coexist, nor that one can't be adapted to another water condition. I am merely stating the accepted view as to what each fish prefers.

Fish can be acclimated to live outside of their preference, but it should be noted that it is going against "conventional wisdom" doing that. The general consensus is that cardinal tetras prefer soft water and acidic water, while platies prefer moderately hard and basic water. It doesn't mean that the fish can't survive in different conditions, it just means that I wouldn't do it.

My water is fairly soft and slightly acidic. My fish are all those who prefer those conditions (or in the case of the guppies) have such a wide spectrum of hardiness that their preference overlaps my conditions.

In general, when selecting fish, I think the best practice is to let your water be your guide in determining what fish would be the most compatible in those parameters. That isn't to say that you can't go a different way, it is just saying that trouble may be encountered down the line, and you may not understand why. For beginners, I think it best to stick with fish that all have similar water preferences and that they match your own tap water. After years of experience, you can begin to experiment with more complex set-ups. But, in my opinion, it is best not to take on too many unknowns as a beginner. If the entire fishkeeping hobby is a new one to someone, then I would suggest that person try to limit their vulnerability to problems. Ultimately, that is the best way to enjoy the hobby and be successful, not to mention best for the fish entrusted to your care.

Most reactions

Back