Whats Happening To My Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish mom

Reaction score
So as you all know I got caught in a fishin cycle a couple months ago. We came through it with out the loss of any of the 3 fish ths betta was rehomed about a month ago I added an algae eater he died 2 days ago n then this morning my red platy was dead I have tested my water n it is good so I dnt understand. Any help would be appreciated

What are the exact test results? How big is your tank? How often do you do water changes, and what percentage of the water do you change? What exact fish do you have? How many months exactly has your tank been running? what kind of algae eater was it and did you quarantine it? And how has your fish's behavior changed? I think that most likely you bought the algae eater when it was sick and now your fish have what the algae eater had. Or that your fish are dieingfrom ammonia poisoning. Sorry for your losses, they will be dearly missed :rip:

Ammonia 0
Nitrie 0
Nitrae 20
30 gal tank
Now I only have ond platy left I 30% pwc at least once a week tank has been set up 7 weeks

i think maybe the Ammonia they were subjected to in the beginning may have ended their life too soon x

That's possible I ended up with them because my friend had bought my son a small 1n1/2 gal tank with the 2 platys it was unfiltered n they were in it about a month before I found this site :( what do I need to do before adding new fish?

if the tank is really only 1.5 U.S. gallons, then you are EXTREMELY limited in what you can house in there. I would recommend shrimp or snails only. Fish need more space than that- even a single betta in there would be pushing it.

Read through the entire beginners resource thread to learn as much as you can before proceeding. I suggest if you want to keep fish to buy a tank that is at least 30 gallons. The bigger the tank, the greater margin for error with issues.

agree...but if you have a bigger tank now.

You can do a big 100% W/C, and start a new.

Ammonia 0
Nitrie 0
Nitrae 20
30 gal tank
Now I only have ond platy left I 30% pwc at least once a week tank has been set up 7 weeks

I missed this post.

You could remove all the water possible - just leave enough room for the fish to swim. Then, refill slowly with temp-matched, dechlorinated water. Next, you could consider some more tank mates. If you have built up the bacteria colony (which it seems you have, at least partially) you can add a small group of hardy fish to ensure that it is in fact cycled. More platies would be a good choice, but unless you want a bunch of fry, just buy males. Buying only females is risky, since many times the females are already pregnant at the LFS. I would say buy 3 or 4 more males. Then monitor the parameters daily. If you see double zeros for the next week or two, you can add a few more fish that are compatible.

You didn't mention your pH or water hardness, but I'd assume the platies would be fine in your water. Finding tankmates is easy, if you stick to livebearers (mollys, guppies, swordtails). It can be tougher if you look at egg layers. It is a much wider spectrum and includes aggressive, semi-aggressive and peaceful fish, but there are a lot of other factors to consider. If you stick with livebearers though, be warned owning females means fry! If you aren't prepared for that, stick with males only - but be certain to get 4-6 males of any variety at least, to spread out aggression. They will be fighting for mating rights (even without females present). My guppies are constantly flaring at each other. It's cool to see, but they aren't nippy with each other, because I have four.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear with my post they started out in a very small tank n were in it for abt a month then I found this site n after some reading went n bought a 30 gal tank they were in the 30 gal for abt 7 weeks before they started dieing I hope this cleared any confusion

I'm sorry I wasn't clear with my post they started out in a very small tank n were in it for abt a month then I found this site n after some reading went n bought a 30 gal tank they were in the 30 gal for abt 7 weeks before they started dieing I hope this cleared any confusion

Yes it does. I think the cause of death is from prolonged exposure to ammonia. Ammonia is a killer and any exposure can drastically cut down the fish's lifespan.

Thank you all for your advice I only wish I had found this forum sooner :( I am however hooked on fish now and am positive I will have more questions in the futere

That's why we are here. :nod:

I was wondering if I could put neon tetras in with the platy

Yes but with tetras the more the better at least 5 of them. Personally I like and keep cardinals though. Not sure if it's true but somebody told me neons get diseased easiest of any tetra.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back