What's happened to my Betta?

st3f

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have just found my betta in the state below. He was absolutely fine yesterday. I was vacuuming up doing a water change just now and spotted him lying on gravel in and amongst some plants, barely moving. I don't know if some shrimp were on him and they have started work on his fins, and he was injured from something else. No idea what's done the damage. He's still alive but weak.

Only thing that has changed in the tank is an addition of a second pearl gourami, a couple of extra black phantoms and some dwarf rainbow fish. They arrived on Saturday, and there was no sign of aggressive behaviour from any of them towards the betta, who has been established for a good while.

Any clues? What can I do to give him the best chance of survival?

Many thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_20231204_195001440.jpg
    IMG_20231204_195001440.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 35
Something in the tank has picked on him, and as you've just added new fish that's the most likely cause. Betta and gourami are from the same family of fish and usually don't live well together. It might have been fine with just the one but perhaps the second one has taken a dislike to the betta. General consensus is betta should be kept alone. If you have a hospital tank you can move him to while he recovers it'll give you time to set up a tank to move him into long-term.

Something in the tank has picked on him, and as you've just added new fish that's the most likely cause. Betta and gourami are from the same family of fish and usually don't live well together. It might have been fine with just the one but perhaps the second one has taken a dislike to the betta. General consensus is betta should be kept alone. If you have a hospital tank you can move him to while he recovers it'll give you time to set up a tank to move him into long-term.
Thanks for this. I guess that makes sense... Hadn't appreciated that about the gouramis. I've kept the betta with a couple of other pearls (females) before and they were fine, as with the various tetras he's lived with. The new gourami I added I believe is a male, so maybe that did it?

He's died in the meantime :( :(

Sorry he didn't make it. This forum is full of knowledgeable people if you're ever unsure of compatability in future.

Most reactions

Back