🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello!

The underside of the tank cracked (about 1 inch, there’s 2 ways I can think of to fix this and I just wondering what is better?

1. Glued the crack with a new piece of glass pane
or
2. Just glued it with sealant

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 4DA54FA0-6C23-4FDB-9371-F077745BDB87.jpeg
    4DA54FA0-6C23-4FDB-9371-F077745BDB87.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 48
That crack will run to the other side of the tank. So glue a piece of glass in that will go to the other side of the tank when it runs make it about 150mm plus the length.

That crack will run to the other side of the tank. So glue a piece of glass in that will go to the other side of the tank when it runs make it about 150mm plus the length.
How do I not make it ugly?

I want this tank to be bare bottom and is a rimless tank.

Patch it like Itiwhetu said or replace the base or put a false bottom in it.

A patch is the cheapest way to go.

A false bottom is simply a piece of glass that fits inside the tank and covers the entire base. It is glued in.

You can cut the old base out and put a new base in but it's hard work.

A patch is the easiest, then a false bottom.

---------------------
What are the tank dimensions?
Tanks that are 12 inches high can have a 4, 5, or 6mm thick base. 6mm thick is best and mush less likely to crack.

Tanks that are 18 inches high usually have a 6mm thick base but if the tank is 18 inches wide it should have an 8mm base. If the tank is 2 foot wide, it should have a 10mm thick base.

Tanks that are 24 inches high need a 10mm thick base.

GE silicone I Is a recommended brand. Make sure it GE silicone 1 not 2

Does sealant have to be food grade?
Aquarium silicon or silicon suitable for aquariums. They usually have it written on the container (suitable for aquariums).

Make sure it does not have mould inhibitors or anything else in because these poison fish.

We only have silicon that is “safe for use in dishes” and after tried it, it worked just fine.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back