What Would You Use?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

carpking

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All

Looking to change the way i fert my tank now its low tec and not running CO2 and is 180l in size.

Ive been looking into the EI method from APFUK and also the Neutro T from aqua essentials does anyone have any experience with ether of these dosing methods i will be using a liquid CO2 along side them.

Thanks in advance

If you're using liquid CO2 IMO you'll want Neutro+
Either method will be fine so long as you're commited to the 50% water changes for EI.

Hi Thanks for the reply

is says to do 20% - 50% water changers for the EI i normally do 30% anyway but would you say i should up that to 50%?

Also with the Neutro+ that is just Mirco's is that correct so i wouldnt get the macro's as i would with EI?

Have you used ether system?

Neutro+ is Macros and Micros (T is just trace, thats why I don't believe they should recommend it with Carbon)

EI is only 50% IME anything else is made up.

EDIT: Have I used either, yes. I don't have a tank currently but you could say I'm deeply involved with EI. I've never used Neutro products and personally would never buy a fertiliser without an analysis. Fertiliser laws exist to stop people buying magic bottles of water. Having said that AE is well respected and I'm sure that's not the case - but how do you know if you should up the dose if you don't know what the dose is in the first place.....IMO

Thanks

So what would you recommend for my low tec set up?

If you're using liquid carbon I'd say you're Hi-tech - So you could use Nutro+ - If you want to save money you could go EI.

If you want to stay truely low tech and not use carbon, keep your lighting low, I'd still use Neutro+ or use EI at 1/3 the stated doses.

HTH

50% water changes for E.I. dosing was recommended by Tom Barr as a rough guideline, you can tailor the water changes to suit your tank and conditions.
If you have a very high light - high energy co2 injected tank then 50% applies. If you have lower light and therefore lower fert/co2 requirements then you can do less water changes whilst using EI. because you use less ferts. A low tech tank using E.I. (micros) will only need small water changes.
If you are using liquid co2 + E.I. you won't be pushing plant growth to the maximum so you won't need to do the maximum recommended water changes and you would probably find 30% that you do already will be enough.

So then SO19

im going to try EI i think it covers everything im also to add Liquid CO2 and i will dose as recommend and do the 50% water change weekly and see how i get on.

Thanks for the help.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back