What Would You Keep ...

Blobfish

Fish Crazy
Joined
Aug 27, 2013
Messages
200
Reaction score
3
Location
GB
... in a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank which will not have plants due to low light?  Preference is probably for larger fish.
 

*pete*

Fishaholic
Joined
Jan 21, 2012
Messages
499
Reaction score
13
Location
GB
I would keep Hypsophrys nicaraguensis, I owned one back when I kept Cichlids and it was a favorite of mine.
One of the few fish I ever named... Budgie.
 
Big enough for yer!
 
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Akasha72

Warning - Mad Cory Woman
Joined
Oct 24, 2011
Messages
5,535
Reaction score
555
Location
GB
oh wow ... they are beautiful!! 
 
 
If you've got soft water I'd do an amazon biotope with just branches and leaf litter with stained water and add half a dozen platinum angels and maybe some cories for the  bottom
 
Hard water - I'd go for African cichlids
 
Sorry, I'm also a cichlid fan. They are fish with character 
 

Ch4rlie

Moderate Moderating Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Global Moderator
Joined
Jul 16, 2013
Messages
8,870
Reaction score
3,126
Location
Oxfordshire, UK
I'd have rainbowfish, and perhaps a nice shoal of smaller fish such as harlequins or small danios like celestials or emeralds, thats my personal choice anyway.  BTW you can grow plants in a low light set up.
 
Plants like java ferns (Microsorum pteropus) and anubias will be ok in low light set ups, just means they grow slower.
 
So you can have a whole bunch of java ferns (there are several different varieties) and anubias over woods and rocks which would actualy look pretty good if that takes to your liking.
 
Just throwing that in for you to think about :p
 

*pete*

Fishaholic
Joined
Jan 21, 2012
Messages
499
Reaction score
13
Location
GB
Akasha72 said:
oh wow ... they are beautiful!! 
 
 
If you've got soft water I'd do an amazon biotope with just branches and leaf litter with stained water and add half a dozen platinum angels and maybe some cories for the  bottom
 
Hard water - I'd go for African cichlids
 
Sorry, I'm also a cichlid fan. They are fish with character 
Cichlid fan too Akasha but havn't kept any for ten years or so, I would like to get another 3 footer and start again with Curviceps and natural type Angels funds permitting!!!
Nicaraguensis are lovely fish and I found not very agressive for a large cichlid. when I first got mine he was the size and had similar colouring/look as a domestic Budgeriegar especially when at 45deg angle begging for food! Hence the name.
 

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Joined
May 4, 2004
Messages
6,408
Reaction score
26
Location
wirral
If I had that tank now I'd either go  discus like I have done anyway :) or if I had to choose another possibly 6 Channa Pulchra snakehead. Did this about 7 years ago and it was one of my favourite ever set ups.
 
Or Malawi/mbuna never done it and always fancied it
 

Akasha72

Warning - Mad Cory Woman
Joined
Oct 24, 2011
Messages
5,535
Reaction score
555
Location
GB
*pete* said:
 
oh wow ... they are beautiful!! 
 
 
If you've got soft water I'd do an amazon biotope with just branches and leaf litter with stained water and add half a dozen platinum angels and maybe some cories for the  bottom
 
Hard water - I'd go for African cichlids
 
Sorry, I'm also a cichlid fan. They are fish with character 
Cichlid fan too Akasha but havn't kept any for ten years or so, I would like to get another 3 footer and start again with Curviceps and natural type Angels funds permitting!!!
Nicuaraguence are lovely fish and I found not very agressive for a large cichlid. when I first got mine he was the size and had similar colouring/look as a domestic Budgeriegar especially when at 45deg angle begging for food! Hence the name.
 
 
Curviceps is a great fish. I lost my male last week. He was over 5 years old. The female jumped out of the tank when I left it unattended with the lid open and died last August. I'm really missing them. They have such a wonderful character
 
I'd not have angels again. Mine are a pain and mine are on the semi-aggressive side compared to some.
 
OP
OP
Blobfish

Blobfish

Fish Crazy
Joined
Aug 27, 2013
Messages
200
Reaction score
3
Location
GB
*pete* said:
 
I would keep Hypsophrys nicaraguensis, I owned one back when I kept Cichlids and it was a favorite of mine.
One of the few fish I ever named... Budgie.
 
Big enough for yer!
 
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
 
 
 
I've looked these up and they are beautiful!  I like cichlids a lot but this is one I haven't kept.  Thank you for the suggestion.

 
Akasha72 said:
oh wow ... they are beautiful!! 
 
 
If you've got soft water I'd do an amazon biotope with just branches and leaf litter with stained water and add half a dozen platinum angels and maybe some cories for the  bottom
 
Hard water - I'd go for African cichlids
 
Sorry, I'm also a cichlid fan. They are fish with character 
 
Out of the tap my water is 7.6 which I have not found a problem for anything as yet.  I have been thinking about angels, I've had the odd one or two in the past but not had any for a long time.  Love the idea of platinum angels and a big herd of albino corys in stained water.
Ch4rlie said:
I'd have rainbowfish, and perhaps a nice shoal of smaller fish such as harlequins or small danios like celestials or emeralds, thats my personal choice anyway.  BTW you can grow plants in a low light set up.
 
Plants like java ferns (Microsorum pteropus) and anubias will be ok in low light set ups, just means they grow slower.
 
So you can have a whole bunch of java ferns (there are several different varieties) and anubias over woods and rocks which would actualy look pretty good if that takes to your liking.
 
Just throwing that in for you to think about
tongue2.gif
 
This is such a good idea I've already done it :)  I have a 4ft x 2ft x 18" tank with rainbows and harlequins and a few others.  I gather java ferns are OK in low light but I've never seen that really qualified.  This tank basically just gets indirect natural light, I get a little algae over the summer but that's it.  It might be interesting to try.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Akasha72

Warning - Mad Cory Woman
Joined
Oct 24, 2011
Messages
5,535
Reaction score
555
Location
GB
oooh I had a platinum angelfish and she was a real stunner. I also love tannin stained water so we're on the same wavelength. I use Roobois tea to stain my water and it also adds a natural anti-biotic, anti-sceptic and is a natural stress reliever too.
 
My water comes out of my tap at 7.4 but it settles in the tank at 6.5 as I've got no gH or kH. Our water is incredibly soft so my angels, tetra's, cories and harlequins love it 
 
OP
OP
Blobfish

Blobfish

Fish Crazy
Joined
Aug 27, 2013
Messages
200
Reaction score
3
Location
GB
simonas said:
If I had that tank now I'd either go  discus like I have done anyway
smile.png
or if I had to choose another possibly 6 Channa Pulchra snakehead. Did this about 7 years ago and it was one of my favourite ever set ups.
 
Or Malawi/mbuna never done it and always fancied it
 
I'm wondering about discus but am a bit wary about whether my water would suit them, I don't want to start running a RO system (at this point in time anyway).  
 
Snakeheads are beginning to appeal.  I started off quite frightened of them but now I keep coming across information which claims they are misunderstood I'm feeling some what intrigued ..
 

Akasha72

Warning - Mad Cory Woman
Joined
Oct 24, 2011
Messages
5,535
Reaction score
555
Location
GB
I did wonder about Discus myself before I got my angels but in the end I found the prospect a little too daunting. I feel they would need me to be a little bit more experienced even though my water is perfect for their needs. Plus I have my harlequins and oto's to consider and I was worried they'd just be food. To go down the Discus route I'd need to have an empty tank and fit tank mates around the Discus rather than trying to do it the other way around.
 
I know nothing about snakeheads, I couldn't even tell you what they looked like! 
 
Another cichlid I'm eager to try is a gold severum ... they are said to be gentle giants and I will have one one day ... just give me time and tank space 
drool.gif
 
OP
OP
Blobfish

Blobfish

Fish Crazy
Joined
Aug 27, 2013
Messages
200
Reaction score
3
Location
GB
Akasha72 said:
I did wonder about Discus myself before I got my angels but in the end I found the prospect a little too daunting. I feel they would need me to be a little bit more experienced even though my water is perfect for their needs. Plus I have my harlequins and oto's to consider and I was worried they'd just be food. To go down the Discus route I'd need to have an empty tank and fit tank mates around the Discus rather than trying to do it the other way around.
 
I know nothing about snakeheads, I couldn't even tell you what they looked like! 
 
Another cichlid I'm eager to try is a gold severum ... they are said to be gentle giants and I will have one one day ... just give me time and tank space 
drool.gif
 
 
I feel much the same about discus plus I have 7 tanks in all and so I don't think I have the time to fuss over discus as much as they might need.  Maybe if I get to a time when I could dedicate more of the tanks to discus, that might make i more feasible.

I find myself reading up on ctenopoma acutirostre.
 
 

Most reactions

Top