What Would Kill A Dwarf Zebra Hermit?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

afmo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, i woke up this morning, and my dwarf zebra hermit was dead on the bottom of the dank, missing like half of his body :crazy: his shell is no where to be found and there are plenty of empty shells in the tank for the other hermits to use. The inhabitants are an ocellaris clown, 3 scarlet reef hermits, 2 blue legged hermits, 3 astraea snails, a top crown, a banded trochus snail, and an asterina starfish.

any ideas?

Sounds like a molt and he went into hiding in the LR. Hermit molts look like claws and some flakey white substance attached to them. Don't fret, your crab is probably just fine :good:

agreed, its probably a molt. If the shell has gone then he is in hiding. If the shell was visible then i would say that your most likely candidates would be the blue leg hermits

Don't fret yet. We once found our red legged hermit crab being devoured by bristle worms. Two weeks later, we found our lred legged hermit crab live and well hiding form our devil damsel fish. We think that it was just a moult, but mabye you should think about looking out for large bristle worms if you have any live rock, because we did once find our red legged hermit crab having a tussle with a big bristle worm over cooked prawn.

Hope you get to the bottom of this
Lucy

Still no sign of him, but again, the shell is still nowhere to be seen, so i hope you are right, that its a molt. What Skifletch described (claws with a flakey white substance) sounds exactly like what was in the tank... so i'm crossing my fingers :) thanks all.

I've been scared by shrimp and hermit crab moults a few times, they look so much like a dead carcass. I'd put my money on a moult.

YAY Zebra made his appearance today! turned on the light this morning and he was hangin out on a piece of LR.

little guy scared me there!

Glad to see there was a happy ending! :good:

Big brittlestars, haliocheres wrasses, puffers, triggers, other starfish, mantis shrimp, and plenty of other things.

All of the above and of course... Other hermits :blush:

klkl just from the title i thought was gonna be the question what would kill a dwarf zebra and was curious t ofind out what would lol well back to the topic in hand

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back