What type of filter do you suggest for a 125 gallon tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ken Sauer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
The person who owns our local fish store suggested to me that I use 2 Fluval AquaClear power filters (for tanks 60-110 gallons) that hang on the side of the tank rather than a Fluval FX4 Canister. He says the canisters are too complicated and too many things can go wrong. Agree or disagree?

Disagree. I have an Eheim Pro 3 on my 150g tank and I've never had a problem with it in over three years (and it was used before that). Heck, I even used cheapo sunsun canisters on my home tanks for several years with no issues. Canisters can be a little more complicated at first because you have to seal them and prime them, but once you figure them out they're no problem. They're also dead quiet, take up no room in the tank or the room, allow you to control the flow much better than a hang-on-back, and keep your water very, very clean. Just read the manual, follow the directions, use some common sense.

Disagree, I use fx4 myself , they are graded to a 1000l , I would opt for a smaller canister with a 100l tank unless your fish appreciate a fast flow the stick with the fx4 , iv always been told you can’t over filter, but the fx series is self priming so no hassle just fill with water and turn on

Disagree, I use fx4 myself , they are graded to a 1000l , I would opt for a smaller canister with a 100l tank unless your fish appreciate a fast flow the stick with the fx4 , iv always been told you can’t over filter, but the fx series is self priming so no hassle just fill with water and turn on

It’s not a 100 l tank, it’s a 125 gal tank, about 480litres.

So on that basis I would definitely go for a canister as they can handle the amount of water much better as well as giving a more decent water turnover.

The minimum canister for that sized tank imho for Fluval brand would be the 407 and that would have to be on max output basically but I personally would prefer the FX4.

If going for eheim, bit more expensive, would maybe look at Eheim professional 4+ for 600 litre tanks as another option to look at.

2 large HOB would certainly work, definitely, but also means more work as there would be two filters to clean and maintain etc.

It’s not a 100 l tank, it’s a 125 gal tank, about 480litres.

So on that basis I would definitely go for a canister as they can handle the amount of water much better as well as giving a more decent water turnover.

The minimum canister for that sized tank imho for Fluval brand would be the 407 and that would have to be on max output basically but I personally would prefer the FX4.

If going for eheim, bit more expensive, would maybe look at Eheim professional 4+ for 600 litre tanks as another option to look at.

2 large HOB would certainly work, definitely, but also means more work as there would be two filters to clean and maintain etc.
Ohh my bad I read as litres for some reason and yeah completely agree fx4 and up your tank is about the same size as mine , I have a 5ft 500l and my fx4 works great

Canisters are one of the best filter after sum filter.
Though they need more time during maintenance, the filtrations are definitely more effective than hang on filters and are useful especially for big tank that have big fish and bigger bioloads.

The person who owns our local fish store suggested to me that I use 2 Fluval AquaClear power filters (for tanks 60-110 gallons) that hang on the side of the tank rather than a Fluval FX4 Canister. He says the canisters are too complicated and too many things can go wrong. Agree or disagree?
He might have a personal bias against canisters so he doesn't like them, or he might have a big stock of the Fluval AquaClears he's trying to offload...

It is strange that a lfs is trying to persuade you to buy a cheaper item , they always tell me I should be running two filters lol

Usually LFS staff are only interested in easy to maintain filters. They are not interested in having the best filters.
Their objectives are different from us.
Most LFS at my place use mainly sponge filters...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back