What to put in a 10 gallon tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

First to summarize the water parameters. GH is soft at 75 ppm [= 4 dGH], KH is 80 ppm [= 4 dKH] and pH is 7.2 but will likely lower once the aquarium is established. The accumulation of organics in every aquarium tens to lower the pH depending uppon the GH and KH, and here they are low. No problems here, provided you intend soft water fish species.

The fish listed in post #1 are soft water species. But now we get into the tank size issue and the temperature issue. Rams need warm water at 80F (27 C) minimum, and a 10g is not sufficient space, so I would forget blue rams.

The sparkling gourami can work; I would suggest three of them. But you must have floating plants as these fish spend their time close to the surface among floating plants.

Neons would work, but again the tank size would suggest other smaller species. The dwarf rasbora species in Boraras are well suited here, and they are fine with the sparkling gourami.

All of these tend to remain in the upper half of the aquarium, so that means finding something for the lower level. One of the dwarf corydoras species, in a group of 9-10 would be good. Pygmy cory or habrosus cory.

Just out of curiosity why wouldn't a blue german ram work? Also would chili rasboras work?

The ram really should have more space; a tank with a length of 24 inches (60 cm) such as a 20g is the minimum recommended tank for a blue ram (whichever variety).

The chilli rasbora is one of the dwarf rasbora species I referred to, the species is Boraras brigittae. This would be a nice fish in a 10g, a group of 10-12. Floating plants are needed here too.

The ram really should have more space; a tank with a length of 24 inches (60 cm) such as a 20g is the minimum recommended tank for a blue ram (whichever variety).

The chilli rasbora is one of the dwarf rasbora species I referred to, the species is Boraras brigittae. This would be a nice fish in a 10g, a group of 10-12. Floating plants are needed here too.

I agree with Byron. German blue rams need a minimum of 20g though if you’re wanting to keep a few or different fish 29g is recommend. Best of luck.

Ok thank you so this would be a good setup: 10 chili rasbora, 3 sparkling gourami and 9 pygmy corys?

Ok thank you so this would be a good setup: 10 chili rasbora, 3 sparkling gourami and 9 pygmy corys?

Yes. Make sure you have floating plants first, or introducing these into an open-surface tank will bee very stressful.

Yeah I read that and I have some duck weed in it right now I'm waiting for it to spread a little more because my lights are really bright. The picture below is what my tank looks like right now is there anything I should change. I'm going to add more plants.

Attachments

• 1553361504268-335234411.jpg
    1553361504268-335234411.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 198
Yeah I read that and I have some duck weed in it right now I'm waiting for it to spread a little more because my lights are really bright. The picture below is what my tank looks like right now is there anything I should change. I'm going to add more plants.

That's a good start. I would add another piece or two of wood; the fish being mentioned here come from habitats full of wood. And floating plants especially, some good ones are Water Sprite, Frogbit, Water Lettuce, or stem plants like Brazilian Pennywort which grows very well left floating. All of these not only provide the shade the fish like, but they have more substantial root masses and these fish love to browse among them.

Ok I can add another piece of drift wood but do u think just duck weed would be enough or would I have to get more floating plants.

Ok I can add another piece of drift wood but do u think just duck weed would be enough or would I have to get more floating plants.

You need to try and find some of those plants I mentioned. They are more substantial than duckweed. The duckweed is OK to have as well.

Ok so if i add some frogbit more drift wood and a couple other plants then it'll be about good.

I would say so. On the wood, try to match what you already have; the same type of wood in colour/tone anyway will increase the visual space because it is more "natural" than having different types which draw attention to themselves.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back