What to feed a bass?

lilmolly

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 6'' bass with my 3'' pink convict. I feed the convict fish flakes, but I just added the bass today and I don't know what to feed him. I have blood worms in the freezer but I heard the were bad for convicts. I also have brine shrimp in the freezer somewhere. Would that work?

Bass really like other fish, crayfish, insects, pretty much any live food they can fit in their mouth. is it a smal or large mouth bass? if it is a large mouth your 3" convict may be in for some trouble. also what size tank is this?

My convict loves bloodworms. I feed them to her about twice a week. Bass love almost anything. Earthworms are easy to dig up and they love em. Also i think your bass might soon be having the convict for dinner. Bass have huge mouths and can be pretty aggressive. Just curious, where did you get the bass?

Funny that I went sea fishing on my hols in Cornwall and caught 2 sea bass :) I put the smaller one back but the other is lunch today :D

As has been said already.....bass will eat just about anything.............INCLUDING CONVICTS!!!!!

Hope you plan on moving one or the other.

CM

It is important to know wether it is a Peacock Bass or a North American Freshwater Bass. My guess would be the Peacock. Cracking fish but gets BIG and needs plenty of room. B)

kevin007 said:
just wth is a bass? :S
Black Bass

I have kept Bass in the past for quite a few years. If it's a smallmouth, I hope you have at least a 280g tank. They like fast-moving water with some rocks in the flow to hide behind and ambush their prey. They like to swim around and need lots of room. Smallies are VERY agressive when they mature.

If it's a largemouth, and it's a female, it will get huge and outgrow all but the biggest of aquariums just by the sheer size alone. They aren't as aggressive as a smallmouth but will eat anything that will fit in their mouths. Which means just about any fish you can find. A 12" fish is nothing for a mature female to swallow whole.

Those are the 2 main Bass and all I'll comment on until it's said what kind of bass it is, and spare everyone the boredom.

You can feed them earthworms, live fish (I know some don't like this practice, but it's what they eat) mealworms etc. among a lot of other foods and they love crayfish.

I would try to keep the water 60-70F

SneakBetta said:
how big is your tank?
At the time I had a 350g. I don't have it anymore tho. Had to sell it when I moved.

I had 1 smallie, 3 LM's and 4 bluegills in it for quite a long time.

The smallie and all the bluegills were meaner than every fish I've ever had except one. I loved those guys. B)

Well, I found out it wasn't a bass. It was a croppy. The heater stopped working while I was on vacation. Well, it malfunctioned. The temp was 90f!!! It cooked them both. I miss my convict the most. It had a great personality. I even had a name for him; Wally.

Isn't it illegal to catch a fish and put it in an aquarium??

Most reactions

Back