What To Do With My 30 Gallon?

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
So I just got myself a 30 gallon tank today, it was a used Marineland with built in filter and lighting. Because of the way the hood is, I cany use a HoB filter but the built in one is pretty good. It has a good sized area for filter media and has a Bio wheel too. I plan to take my Fluval 2+ and add it to that tank as well.

As for the substance I cant seem to decide. I am thinking of using Florite since I want to go planted again. I tend to use alot of low light plants. I also plan to use alot of drift wood and provide a good amount of drift wood. I need something for Loach since I plan to keep some.

As for fish I know I want to have the following fish for sure:

7 Molly (6 of which are still smaller then an inch)
1 Dwarf Gourami
5 Oto (maybe, I plan to upgrade my DP tank to a 10 gallon and place them in with my DP perhaps)
5 Botia angelicus


From that I dont know what else I would so. I am thinking maybe a small Shoal of Rasbora or tetra. I still need to start the fishless cycle so it will still be awhile. Would it be possible to keep Botia angelicus
AND Coolie louche? Also would Rams work in there as well? I am looking for suggestions in stocking. Also would cory work with Botia angelicus?
 
As for the substance I cant seem to decide. I am thinking of using Florite since I want to go planted again. I tend to use alot of low light plants. I also plan to use alot of drift wood and provide a good amount of drift wood. I need something for Loach since I plan to keep some.

For substrate I would recommend Tahitian Moon Sand!

I was just told about this type of substrate, and I am going to be putting it in my 29 gallon tank!

And I guess plants love it too!

-FHM
 
eh, ebay not my thing. Im looking for cheap but good looking substance that easy for me to obtain. I am thinking of play sand from a hardware store since I have a friend who works there who can maybe get me some.

EDIT:

Oh, and as for heating would 2 50watt heaters work? If not I plan to try that new Fluval E heater that just came out.
 
eh, ebay not my thing. Im looking for cheap but good looking substance that easy for me to obtain. I am thinking of play sand from a hardware store since I have a friend who works there who can maybe get me some.

EDIT:

Oh, and as for heating would 2 50watt heaters work? If not I plan to try that new Fluval E heater that just came out.
What is the average temperature of your house, and what temperature do you want the tank to be?

-FHM
 
well I am looking to have the tank around 75-80. The average temp of my house is 60-70 I would think. I just found out that the sand you just sugegsted is sold at petsmart in 20 pound bags. Could I get away with 1 bag or chances are would I have to do 1.5 bags? Its an average sized tank, it just has a marineland hood.
 
well I am looking to have the tank around 75-80. The average temp of my house is 60-70 I would think. I just found out that the sand you just sugegsted is sold at petsmart in 20 pound bags. Could I get away with 1 bag or chances are would I have to do 1.5 bags? Its an average sized tank, it just has a marineland hood.

You could probably get away with the two 50w heaters, but they will most likely be on almost all the time.

General rule of thumb is 2 pounds of substrate per 1 US gallon of water.

I know that particular substrate is a little on the pricey side, but I heard from other people it is well worth it! I would buy 2 bags. You may want to go more later down the line depending on how many plants you want to have.

-FHM
 
I personally would go with at least a 150w heater.

-FHM
 
well I will look into it here soon, I plan to sell some of my extra computer stuff. For 3 bags it would cost me 75 bucks which is a bit much for just sand.
 
well I will look into it here soon, I plan to sell some of my extra computer stuff. For 3 bags it would cost me 75 bucks which is a bit much for just sand.
Yeah I hear ya...I am getting the same stuff tomorrow for my 29 gallon!

-FHM
 
well I will look into it here soon, I plan to sell some of my extra computer stuff. For 3 bags it would cost me 75 bucks which is a bit much for just sand.
Yeah I hear ya...I am getting the same stuff tomorrow for my 29 gallon!

-FHM
thaitian moon sand has no benefit to plants whatsoever, if you go for play sand *which looks good*(thaitan moon sand isnt actually sand, the grains are abit bigger than normal sand, put some of this underneath it

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...i1q3k3tdgljvbg7
 
we have something similar to that

[URL="http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...amp;pcatid=4876"]http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...amp;pcatid=4876[/URL]

So I should use this under the sand? Also how much would I use for a 30 gallon? I don't plan to use Co2 since i cant seem to find any good stuff around here and I don't have time to make something myself.
im not familiar with the API laterite but i guess it will do the same job.

as for CO2 what is your lighting? total number of watts? T8(inch in diameter) or t5(less than inch in diameter)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top