What to do in winter

Death Penguin

Reaction score
Yo guys,

My folks have put a small pond in the back garden this summer and got some fish for it. Golden orfe, fantails and shebumkins that sort of thing. With winter coming round again i was wondering if any precautions should be done. Antifreeze????Only kidding. :kana: The ponds not massive but over two feet deep and might freeze over. Is it going to be a case of :rip: ???

One other thing, when they clean out the excess algea stuff they usually put it into a small barrel. and about two months ago they noticed small fish in the barrel. just shows, never to throw anything away. Any chance these might survive the cold???

cheers

Catch ya later..Over and out

if the pond is 2' deep, then they shoud be ok. stop feeding them now if you havent already done so. you don't say wether or not you have a filter. I think it will be a case of :rip: for the fantail though. you would be best putting them in an indoor tank or taking them back the lfs.

Yes the pond has a pumped fountain thing. it also goes through a bio-filter with UV, then down a small waterfall.

Stopped feeding a while back, but they still eat bread from the surface, thats dropped by birds.

Stupid things those fantails, one of them keeps getting stuck in the weed and has to be freed physically. Why do you think the fantail might struggle?

hello there... death penguin,

i think the reason fantails may find it harder to survive in the cold is that fancy style goldfish are meant to be less hardy when at the lower temperatures and can quite easily get fin fot apparently,

however.. this is only what ive read, so i cant be trusted lol

hope it helps abit.

i know koi and the like are meant to be able to survive to about -4 deg C

Josh

i think it is the way that they are bred that makes them less hardy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back