What To Consider When You Are Buying An Ro Unit

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

seffieuk

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!
Reaction score
It seems to me that many newbies, myself included strugggle/d with RO units

so, lets have your ideas:

what do you need to consider when purchasing your first RO unit?
where to buy?
second hand or new?
what to look out for when buying second hand?
recommended brands?
what extras do you need?
things you would get included?
guide price new, second hand?

Seffie x

:fish:

ps Rabbut, come on.................. your time is up - pigs did fly and I proved it :lol:

Lol, OK, OK, but I've been busy Seffie. I've had a DIY LED rig, Driving lessons and extra days at work (amongst other things) to worry about as well. :good:

Things to consider are how much water you will actually need and how long you are prepared to wait for it. Also, you need to consider that you will get only about 1/4 of the stated output most of the time unless you spend lots of £ on booster pumps and in-line heaters... Placement is important, they need to be near a mains water feed pipe, and they are bulky items, so placement can be a tricky one for those of us without much space beneath their sinks e.t.c

If possible, get direct from the manufacturer for new, as most sell to the public at a lower price than most LFS's/Ebay (in most cases) will offer them to you for. If ou are going second hand, look at Ebay, the Classifieds section of the forum, and any advertising site for fish stuff. Oh, don't forget the LFS's window adverts also ;)

I'd always get one new, as you don't know the service history of the unit. It may be in full working order with all new filters, or the seller may just be saying that, or the membrane may have dried out... A full new set of filters for an average 4 stage 50GPD unit will be around £60-70 delivered from a cheap on-line dealer, when the units are about £90 delivered new... There are some second hand bargains out there, but a lot of lemons also :nod:

When buying second hand, you want to get one with all new filters ideally, or nearly new at least. Check the sediment pre filter for signs of use, along with the Carbon block filter, the DI resin (many change colour as they clog these days, nice and handy). Ask to see the unit running when you get there, compare the input pressure to the pressure going to the membranes (A good unit will have two pressure gauges, one on the feed line and one between the pre-filtration and the membrane) If there is a difference, the pre-filters as a minimum are going to need imminent replacement. Check the TDS after the membrane has finished with it also, and compare it to the source water TDS. The use needs to be 1/100th of the source at most to show a good membrane. If it's close to that or higher, the membrane either needs flushing or replacing. Which leads on to ensuring you have a flush-kit installed on you potential purchase.

Osmotics, New Era and my personal choice RO-Man are all good units, though the New Era ones don't allow access to any filter to visually check them. This is both a good and bad thing, as while you cannot visually check them, you cannot contaminate them either, something that is easily done with units where you have direct access to the filters :nod:

For extras, I'd ensure you have both the pressure gauges I mentioned, a spare set of replacement filters, a TDS meter and calibration fluid for it (yes, like refractometers, they need calibrating every few months to remain accurate), and you'll need a flush kit ideally. This said, the unit I use does not have half of that gear associated with it...

Usually you'll get a single pressure gauge included, and a flush kit with some manufacturers, but it's rare to get two pressure gauges unless you have two membranes, flush kits aren't always standard, you never get spare filters and often DI kits are missing. DI isn't essential though, when you get down to <10TDS, it's mostly carbon ions remaining, that are fairly harmless and a few argue they are beneficial. I sit on the fence with that one and personally would look to getting DI on a unit for me personally...

For a new 50GPD unit, budget £170-£180 for the unit, all the spares and extras that you will need. I would not pay more than £20 for a unit only at second hand price, streaching to maybe £100-£120 if they have the spares and extras on offer. A second hand unit deffinately isn't worth any more than a new unit minus a full replacement set of filters though, as you'll likely find yourself replacing them shortly after purchase :good:

Hows that for a start? Can I get back to soldering now? GOOD :p
Rabbut

i bought an ro unit yesturday from osmotics.

Just a warning that ro-man are not i business anymore so the best place to get an ro unit from is osmotic.

Cost me
£90 for a 4 stage 75gpd unit including filters
£15 for a set of new filters (ive seen the filters last for about 6 months depending on a few different things)
£25 In line tds meter
£4 tds meter calibration fluid

As i can't install it under the sink (parents) i need to use it on the outside tap. As im doing it like this i needed 3 x ball valves to keep the filters under pressure. Also bought
extra ro hose
Taps to keep it pressurised as parents wont let me install it
and a 3 filter socks as they seem impossible to find in lfs and they look at me as if im from space.
and a small Jeri can for a auto top up im planning.

In total it all came to £180 including VAT and delivery. Sounds like a lot but i use about 25 litres per week which equals £3,50 per 25 litres works out to be around £182.

So within the year i should have my money back on all the stuff i ordered. Then will only cost around £60 for 2x set of filters + 1 new membrane.

i bought an ro unit yesturday from osmotics.

Just a warning that ro-man are not i business anymore so the best place to get an ro unit from is osmotic.

Cost me
£90 for a 4 stage 75gpd unit including filters
£15 for a set of new filters (ive seen the filters last for about 6 months depending on a few different things)
£25 In line tds meter
£4 tds meter calibration fluid

As i can't install it under the sink (parents) i need to use it on the outside tap. As im doing it like this i needed 3 x ball valves to keep the filters under pressure. Also bought
extra ro hose
Taps to keep it pressurised as parents wont let me install it
and a 3 filter socks as they seem impossible to find in lfs and they look at me as if im from space.
and a small Jeri can for a auto top up im planning.

In total it all came to £180 including VAT and delivery. Sounds like a lot but i use about 25 litres per week which equals £3,50 per 25 litres works out to be around £182.

So within the year i should have my money back on all the stuff i ordered. Then will only cost around £60 for 2x set of filters + 1 new membrane.

Just a word of warning. If you are having to use this connected to the hosepipe tap, don't be tempted to leave it outside, when not in use. I'd be tad concerned about it freezing over the winter months. Any water in the chambers could cause them to rupture and any ice forming in the membrane would possibly knacker it. What I'd suggest for now, is not mounting it on the outside wall or leaving it outside. When you have finished using it for the day, turn off all 3 ball valves and bring the unit inside and store it somewhere, even if you have to keep it in your bedroom cupboard or under the bed. It shouldn't leak provided all the valves are fitted correctly and functioning.

yea it will be coming in thanks.

Still need to empty the koi ponds water purifier before that freezes and cracks.

Just been and picked up a RO. I originally went to buy a HMA but I went for a 100 Gallon per day RO. It is basically a HMA filter with RO unit on the top. He put me a T off with a tap on so I can switch between RO and HMA. He seems like a nice helpful bloke. He does all sorted of RO and HMA, He has plenty of accessories too. Best thing is, He is cheap and offered a 12 month guarentee. Cost me £75

DSCF4029.jpg

collins water products
kevin collins
49 station road
kiveton park
sheffield
South Yorkshire
s26 6qp
0845 3887349
[email protected]

Trying to decide between buying RO from LFS or getting my own RO unit.

I did buy a cheap RO unit from eBay ages ago for about £35, only for a tropical tank nut I'm sure they are rubbish

Believe me you will get sick to death lugging water from lfs very quickly :p

Seffie x

True, as I only have Sunday's as a full day off. So I'm sure I don't want to spend each Sunday driving between the LFS and my house., even if it is a 10 min drive!!

Which good 'value for money' units would you recommend ??

Thanks
David

couple of questions if i may whats the difference between hma and ro units and also i was asking about ro units in my lfs and he said they need to be running constantly or the filters will fail ...is this true

couple of questions if i may whats the difference between hma and ro units and also i was asking about ro units in my lfs and he said they need to be running constantly or the filters will fail ...is this true

I dont know what hma is :unsure: not heard that before, could it be the drinking water one?

As long as the membrane is kept wet it will be fine - we do this using simple ball valves on the pipes to trap water inside the unit - so, no, he is not right

Which good 'value for money' units would you recommend ??

Thanks
David

You really do pay for what you get with ro units, buy a cheap one at your peril! Take a look at the osmotics range :good:

i saw hma mentioned today for the first time so i dont know what they do but think it was to do with discus keeping

Most reactions

Back