What To Add Now

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
Ok so I changed around my fish a bit and think this to be much more effective. So what my stocking is now:

5 Gallon:
13 Molly Fry
2 Coral Platy
1 Red Platy

10 Gallon:
2 AFD
2 Oto
1 Green Cory
1 Molly

and after doing all this a day or 2 ago my tank stats are fine and everyone is happy. If my tank stats are good for another week or so (with a once a week water change) I am thinking about adding. My 10 gallon tank i know there is room for a bit more and I was thinking either 2 more oto or 2 more Cory. I'm thinking oto since I like them best but it would be fair to keep my Cory with at least some company. Also my Oto are male and female and i hope that adding 1-2 more may bring them to mate. Buuut also my middle and upper part of my tank only have my Molly there. I am worried though since she is kinda agressive (to live bearers from what I noticed) so I am worried about what I would put in. I plan to add some more plants to help hide out in the next day or 2 as well. Pic of my tank is below.

100_1166.jpg


I also plan to give away all my Molly fry (except 1 or 2) as well as the red platy to a LFS and am wondering what to put in that tank as well.


Suggestions?
 
5 Gallon:
13 Molly Fry
2 Coral Platy
1 Red Platy

10 Gallon:
2 AFD
2 Oto
1 Green Cory
1 Molly

I also plan to give away all my Molly fry (except 1 or 2) as well as the red platy to a LFS and am wondering what to put in that tank as well.

Here is what I would do.

Move your frogs into the 5 gallon and keep them in there with your 1 molly and 1 red platy.

Move your 2 coral platy into the 10 gal as they will breed again without interbreeding colors. Then add 3 more cory into the 10 gallon to go with your 1 existing green cory. Keep the oto in the 10 gal, their waste is minimal and they are weak and will die when the algae runs out (i.m.e.)

Other than that, you are fully stocked really.
 
all the Platy are male so there is no issue with breeding. I kept the Molly by herself since she keeps chasing the fry and the red platy when there together. I agree that putting the AFD into my 5 gallon may be a good idea but wouldn't it be to much of a bio load? As for the oto there is plenty of algae in the tank right now left on the wood, I will add algae to the tank the tank so they can eat it as well.
 
all the Platy are male so there is no issue with breeding. I kept the Molly by herself since she keeps chasing the fry and the red platy when there together. I agree that putting the AFD into my 5 gallon may be a good idea but wouldn't it be to much of a bio load? As for the oto there is plenty of algae in the tank right now left on the wood, I will add algae to the tank the tank so they can eat it as well.

I think the ADF and Molly would be fine in the 5 gal, personally I think that's fine, others may disagree, but its over 1.5 gallon each

Ok so put the platy in the 10 gal with the otos and add 3 more cory and you're done imo
 
well here will be the new tank plans:

10 Gallon:

3 Molly Fry
1 Molly
2 Oto

5 Gallon:

2 AFD
1 Dwarf Puffer


The LFS has agreed to take the Cory, Platy and fry for me which will help me with this stocking. Also would anything else in my 5 Gallon besides that be to much? same for my 10, I would like some bumblebee Goby but since they all prefer brackish the Oto's would suffer. I also plan to add a small internal filter to 5 gallon to help out.
 
I wouldn't be sure about dwarf puffers and ADF's, would think the ADF's would just get nipped tonnes.

Also, IMO putting a molly in a 5gal is akin to putting an oscar in a 30gal or similar,

I would remove the plants with white on them in your aquarium, the are the non-aquatic Dracaena sanderiana. They will soon become an algae magnet and eventually rot and die in your aquarium, however they grow well in a pot on your windowsill :).

Other than getting more green corys as suggested (if you decide to keep them), I would focus on the plants :).

For the ottos, start feeding algae wafers now if you aren't already, and if they do well and last over the next few months, get a few more as they are gregarious fish just like teras and corys and should be kept in larger groups. Don't count on them eating the algae, just because you can see algae doesnt at all mean there is food for them, they dont eat all types of algae and even if you have enough, they can't survive of just algae in the aquarium. In the wild they feed off aufwuchs - which is the fluffy algae/bacteria growth you get on rocks, and it has lots of little bugs on it too. They need algae wafers, if you arent giving them anything else they will be slowing starving right now.

If you want a dwarf puffer, keep one in the 5 gal. Two might be OK, but I'd ask first someone here whose kept them before.

edit: When you say you will be adding a filter to the 5gal to help, are you implying it doesn't already have one?
 
No it has a filter and is fully cycled.I planned to keep the molly in the 10gallon with 4 fry until I can decide there gender. I am debating a puffer from the mall here, the one's here kept in a tank with others and doesn't seem agressive yet since it's young. Either way it will be kept in the 5 gallon. As for the snails would apple/mystery snails work? There should be a store that's half hour away from my house that sells them so I will get some and breed my own

EDIT:

well I got my my dwarf puffer and placed him into my 5 gallon tank. I also added a stingray filter into the tank as well. The filter works for up to 5 gallons and in internal. It provides a course sponge and also works as a power head as well making it so the food moves well and attracts the DP. He is in there with a single Molly fry and 2 AFD and have been observing them for an hour or 2 now and have seen no issues. I will keep an eye on them all and if there are any issues I will move them into the 10 gallon. My final stocking is:

10 gallon:

2 oto
3 Molly Fry
1 Molly

5 Gallon:
1 Molly Fry
2 AFD
1 Dwarf Puffer


I found a LFS that will provide me with as many free nerite snails as I please which is cool, I plan to pick some up and feed him some soon. I fed him blood worms not to long ago and he ate those well, although a AFD lunged at him and stole one of his worms but he just swam away. I plan to keep an eye out for the next while to see what happens but all should be fine. Pics of 5 gallon and dwarf puffer below, I am thinking of more plants still (thinking more amazon swords)

100_1168.jpg


100_1170.jpg


100_1171.jpg
 

Most reactions

Back
Top