What The?!?!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fatty

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a small Qt tank under my main tank with just a couple a small bits of LR, the light has been off for a few days, i turned it on tonight and can see a couple of things that look like tiny jellyfish?!?

They are white and transparent about 6mm across including 9 white tenticles with wispy transparent ends, a top transparent body part and a small white dot in the middle of the body part. It was resting on the side of the tank, hence i could count it's tenticles when disturbed it started swimming around exactly like a jelly.

Of the two I can see one is about 6mm accross and the other 4mm.

Anyone any ideas??

:blink:

Sounds like a jellyfish to me... zooplankton is nowhere near 4mm across ;)

Fatty...DIGITAL CAMERA.......hey..we like seeing this stuff. Good luck with those hitchhikers. SH

Fatty...DIGITAL CAMERA.......hey..we like seeing this stuff. Good luck with those hitchhikers. SH

Thanks SH,

Will try to find the cable!!, and get a good shot... watch this space. -_-

Here goes, I had to put him in a shallow dish to get a picture, very blurred, my macro is not that good. The bit you can see are the white parts, the tentacles are twice the length you can see, after the white there is a whispy thinner part that doesn't show.

There is a transparent dome body covering the top part, it really does look like a minature jellyfish.

Anybody got any other ideas??

Look close, he's center shot in all images

Here he's swimming to the left.
swim.jpg

And a couple sitting on the bottom.
sitting.jpg

sitting2.jpg

Phew wasn't to difficult!
;)

whoa hey i have 14 of those in my tank right now im certain there jellies, and when lights go off they detatch from the glass and swim up to the water line near the top and then slwoly drift down repeating it to get food there way cool, what do they eat again?

Cool!,

Thank for the replies, I think when they're this small they eat plankton.. I just put some marine snow in once in a while, which is a product with a mix of plankton, phyto and zoo, and other tiny things.

Let me know If your jellies get any bigger?

Cheers

Fatty

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back