What The Heck Happened To My Sae

crowlord

New Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Sorry for a question as my first post. I promise i will introduce myself later!

I have had and SAE that I bought alongside another one for two different tanks both went in and were fine. I am pretty sure that my SAE in the main tank is the real deal. He has gotten more aggressive towards his Bosemans Rainbow tankmates and they died one by one. By the time i suspected it was him and not the big bully bosemans Id had had for ages was when he took the bully on. RIP bosemans :(

I assumed (dangerous) that it was the shape of the bosemans that he didnt like so decided to replace my fish with some gorgeous Pearl Gouramis. He is now picking on them. I cant devote my entire tank to one fish. First the off field idea, My other SAE (you remember in the other tank) has been very placid indeed (hiding in fact) so i put him in the main tank and see if behaviour changes. If not then the aggressive sae then gets shifted into the small tank where it can live on its own if it wants! (I can evac the fish in there to the main tank if needed).

Long story scuppered by the fact the the fish i just took out of my small tank is NOT an SAE. I wonder if anyone knows what the hell it is!


DSCF1003-2.jpg
 
Looks like a Black Shark to me - Labeo chrysophekadion??

If I recall rightly they grow far larger than the red tail version.

Anybody agree?
 
The colouring is a little misleading. It is far more silvery then it looks in the image. The main thing that struck me as wrong was the elongated dorsal which the SAE doesnt have. Its also got two dark ventral dots?
 
thast not a sae
sae have a black strip down thier body ... sandwitched inbetween a dark grey top and a whitish bottom
it looks more like a rainbow shark
 
The fins all wrong again, lckily in that case as i dont fancy one of them!

Its a very timid fish.

The SAE is definitely getting shipped out. Will make a nice feature for the other tank and he seems to put up with littler fish so hopefully no evac will e needed. Just need to catch the sod! Once I catch it i will post a pic up.

EDIT: Scratch that. agile cunning fish+well planted tank = epic fail
 
do it during a wc ... no ornaments and half the water level

and its not an sae it looks like a shark hybrid
 
Theres two, the one pictured is unknown, the other is an SAE and wont let me catch it. No pics as it is a tricky little soul!

EDIT: GOT IM :D

Here he is, lets see what he does in the other tank! My main is happier already. He can have his own room if he wont behave!
DSCF10012-2.jpg
 
im certain its a sae. its a bit stressed as ive been chasing it so its faded a bit but the line runs all the way is straight and doesn't have the spotting of a cae. It seems happier in the smaller tank anyway.
 
Second pic looks like an SAE to me, shape is slightly off, but I think that's just the angle of the pic or it could just be genetics. It's 100% not a CAE, I guess there's a chance it could be another species very closely related to the SAE that was caught as a by-catch. But I'd still say just SAE.

First pic I'm not sure, some other sort of cyprinid could be a young black shark as suggested - I've never seen them that small.

Just so you know, true SAE's shouldn't be aggressive, and should be kept in groups. Any aggression would just be because your keeping the poor thing singly and it feels insecure. But I cant imagine one killing rainbowfish.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top