What Tetras Should I Go For? Pls Help With My Stocking

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GShorty1981

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm stocking out my Empty 260L (70USG) (6 year Mature Fluval 305 external filter), I have kept Large CA and SA Cichlids and Marine tanks for the last 10 years and not done a community for a long time

So far I have..

2 x 3.5" Wild Type Angel Fish
2 x 2" Bolivian Rams

I'm looking to add...

12+ x Tetras (which type?)
6 x Corydoras (which type?)
2 x Bristlenose Plecs

going to add these plants

Cabomba
Giant Valis
Amazon Swords
Java Fern
Java Moss
Anubuis

5 decent sized pieces of of bogwood.
Pebbles

Also i am used to doing 50% weekly waterchanges when i had my 8" Flowerhorn in this tank, shall i cut them back to 30%ish?

I personally love the serpae tetras and the bleedig heart tetras :) as for the cories, I really love the sterbai corys. This is all personal preference maybe someone else with a bit more.experience could tell you whether these would or wouldnt work for your aquarium :)

Thanks i think i will get 6 Sterbai Corys.

Serpaes are to nippy to go with Angels, i do like them tho.

I'm looking at Rummynose, Lemons or Emperors, will these go with large Angel fish?

I've had emperor tetras with angels in the past, no problems.

GShorty1981 said:

I'm looking at Rummynose, Lemons or Emperors, will these go with large Angel fish?
By wild angelfish, do you mean altums? I've heard they are extremely hard to keep so I would recommend you dedicate the tank to them... Anyhow these get slightly larger than the common scalare so they may make a meal out of smaller tetras. Colombians would be a safer option.

If it is simply a wild scalare angelfish then the tetras you mentioned should be fine.

Serpae tetras tend to be a bit nippy.  They might nip at the angels.  Then again, maybe they know not to pick a fight with a larger fish.  In general, they mostly just nip each other in my experience.  I really like lemon tetras, and they are larger than the serpae's by a bit if you were worried about the angels eating anyone.  

A lot of people on the forum are fond of rummynose tetras.

Any cory will do, I think they are all nice.

wrightt3 said:

By wild angelfish, do you mean altums? I've heard they are extremely hard to keep so I would recommend you dedicate the tank to them... Anyhow these get slightly larger than the common scalare so they may make a meal out of smaller tetras. Colombians would be a safer option.

If it is simply a wild scalare angelfish then the tetras you mentioned should be fine.

No they are Wild coloured Scalare Angels, ie like this...

Angel-Fish.jpg

I'm not saying they are 'wild or F0' just that they are wild type in the colouration.

Altums have much smaller bodys and mouths than Pterophyllum scalare and less likley to eat smaller fish, I wouldn't keep these, to much hassle.

GShorty1981 said:
Altums have much smaller bodys and mouths than Pterophyllum scalare and less likley to eat smaller fish, I wouldn't keep these, to much hassle.

Really? I've read that they are an inch or 2 longer than the scalare and have higher dorsal/anal fins... You may be right about the mouths though.
Good luck with the tank anyway
smile.png

Did you sell your flowerhorn then?

Hey mate, yeh Altums only get a body length of about 4" in body size but can have fins up to 12" long

No my Flowerhorn died :(

I'll take your word for it, i'm not an expert by any means
tongue2.gif

I'm sorry to hear about your fish though
rip.gif

Well i would say rummeynose tetra as they are the best shoaling tetra IMO and for the corys i think sterbai as well. However there are so much to choose from that it would be better for you to choose which tetra or cory you think looks best to you and suits your tank.

Also do not get any small slender body shaped tetra i.e neon tetra as it could become angel fish food

Re: the tetras I would suggest rummynoses every day. They look amazing as they school arounf the tank. They grow too big for the angels to eat, but they still will be worried enough to keep a tight school

As for the cories, I'd go for sterbai. Very lively and social.

I know sterbai corys and rummynose tetras aren't anything unusual, they aren't some fancy exotic fish, but trust me, you won't regret them.

Thats the thing, i have done years chasing exotic rare Cichlids like exCichlasoma Festae, true Green Terrors, and soem rarer Marine types etc, i want a nice easy basic tank, with all easy to find but pretty, cheap, hardy fish, my only thing is, i want to keep it as Amazon as possible, but other than that i'm easy :p

I'm deffo going to get Lemons or Rummynose, and probably get Sterbai :)

i am pretty sure that Corys and tetras are amazon so thats that sorted. Also i think you should get about 15 rummeynose tetra and 10 sterbai cory slightly more to create a better affect. 

I always liked Lemons because of how subtle they are. But when you look closely their yellow really does look painted on.

Have you thought about any of the larger Amazon Characins for this tank? Like Headstanders? Spotted are quite nice but if you can find then Annostomus Ternetzi would look fantastic I have a group that are about 4 or 5 years old now and they have got between 3 and 5 inches depending on gender etc.

What about a group of small L numbers in there as well? Like a group of L400? Nice and small and pretty little fish :) Things like LDA010 Red Lizard Whiptails are nice as well after a group of these as well soon :)

I would look at doing a group of the Bolivian Rams as well, they are quite gregarious cichlids so would create an interesting group in the tank.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back