What Test Kits Do You Use?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PlasticGalaxy

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Right now I've got an AquaCare test kit that has tests for ammonia, nitrite and pH. Also had an API nitrate test kit, but it was messed up to the point that it said the water straight from the tap was 160ppm so I haven't used that one since.

I've seen a few photos on here of a test kit colour chart that seems to do all of the necessary parameters, so I was wondering if anyone knew which one that was?

Let me know what kit(s) you use and ones to steer away from in the case that they're unreliable.

I use the API master test kit. The nitrate test part on all the kits seem to have an issue where by you really need to shake the reagent bottles aggressively, if you skip that shaking (some say to strike the container on a hard surface) the reagents will not work right. I did some tests on the API nitrate test. The following is a link to a test I did with the API nitrate assessment, Nitrate Test Assessment | Tropical Fish Forums, in it you will find my review of the API nitrate but also some other peoples opinions.

Note, there has to be better tests out there but sourcing them from my location is not so great, especially recently.

Note Nitrates can be high in tap water, but 160 seems a way too high.

I use the API master test kit. The nitrate test part on all the kits seem to have an issue where by you really need to shake the reagent bottles aggressively, if you skip that shaking (some say to strike the container on a hard surface) the reagents will not work right. I did some tests on the API nitrate test. The following is a link to a test I did with the API nitrate assessment, Nitrate Test Assessment | Tropical Fish Forums, in it you will find my review of the API nitrate but also some other peoples opinions.

Note, there has to be better tests out there but sourcing them from my location is not so great, especially recently.

Note Nitrates can be high in tap water, but 160 seems a way too high.
Thank you for the info!

I have the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. I don't use it much. I check things every once in a very great while. Still, it's nice to have. It was pricey but it should last a long time. @PheonixKingZ should chime in on this subject. He tests his water every hour.
Wow, is that hyperbole or does he actually test it every hour? ? And I thought my compulsions were bad.

I have the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. I don't use it much. I check things every once in a very great while. Still, it's nice to have. It was pricey but it should last a long time. @PheonixKingZ should chime in on this subject. He tests his water every hour.
Wow, is that hyperbole or does he actually test it every hour? ? And I thought my compulsions were bad.
Nah, not every hour. ;) (usually once a week)

I definitely recommend the API master test kit. It’s so helpful and lasts you a long time. $30 is a small price to pay for the safety of your fish.

Were you wondering anything specific?

Self shaming !! I don’t use water test kits anymore , I don’t have special powers or anything but if I tested the water it was because I knew something was wrong anyways , with an established tank and good sized weekly water changes I’d assume I’d only be effected by parasites or infections and this is going to sound absolutely crazy but it’s something I swear by , you can smell and taste the water probably not too healthy for you but honestly can smell and taste when the water needs changing

Nah, not every hour. ;) (usually once a week)

I definitely recommend the API master test kit. It’s so helpful and lasts you a long time. $30 is a small price to pay for the safety of your fish.

Were you wondering anything specific?
I'll be sure to save up for that one!
To be honest I was just wondering what THAT test kit was called, since I see it everywhere and it seems pretty nice.

Self shaming !! I don’t use water test kits anymore , I don’t have special powers or anything but if I tested the water it was because I knew something was wrong anyways , with an established tank and good sized weekly water changes I’d assume I’d only be effected by parasites or infections and this is going to sound absolutely crazy but it’s something I swear by , you can smell and taste the water probably not too healthy for you but honestly can smell and taste when the water needs changing
@Guyb93 You are singing my song ! You are exactly right in everything you say. I smell my tanks all the time. I put my nose right down next to the water and give it a good sniff. I know when something is wrong by the smell and with my regular 50% weekly water changes I never have a problem. About all I ever test for is pH. I only do that out of curiosity.

@Guyb93 You are singing my song ! You are exactly right in everything you say. I smell my tanks all the time. I put my nose right down next to the water and give it a good sniff. I know when something is wrong by the smell and with my regular 50% weekly water changes I never have a problem. About all I ever test for is pH. I only do that out of curiosity.
It’s amazing how smell can be effective I’m glad I’m not a weirdo and others do this too ?

It’s amazing how smell can be effective I’m glad I’m not a weirdo and others do this too ?
To be honest I only smell the tank to get that nostalgic smell of being a kid lol. Also do it with the fish flakes... Maybe I'm just weird. I love how it smells. ?

To be honest I only smell the tank to get that nostalgic smell of being a kid lol. Also do it with the fish flakes... Maybe I'm just weird. I love how it smells. ?
I know what you mean , small local pet shops have a smell that reminds me of being small the big ones don’t have the smell probably because they are cleaned and stuff lol

You are far from being a weirdo. I've been sniffing my tank water for years, I know others who do and was advised to do so by an old timer many years ago. I too love the smell of pet shops. I love that cedar smell of the hamster cages and the birds and that sweet humid smell of the fish room. It's like going to a garden greenhouse. The little pet shop I frequent has a separate fish room next to the lizards and I get higher than a pine tree from that smell.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back