What Size Tank Is This?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Animal Lover 2000

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i have a tank and we had thought it was a 55 gallon (208.197 liters) forĀ yearsĀ but ive just gone online and the internet tells me its 45 gallons (170.343 liters) ? i really hope it isnt
no.gif

Ā 
here are the measurements:
Ā 
length: 4 feet Ā | Ā 48 inches Ā | Ā 121.92 centimeters
Ā 
height: 1.5 feet Ā | Ā 18 inches Ā | Ā  45.72 cm
Ā 
width: 1 foot Ā | Ā 12 inches Ā | Ā 30.48 cm
Ā 
Ā 
please help me lol thanks

Yup tried it on two different calculators and if those measurements are correct then it's a 45 gallon tank. Sorry :(

While the tank may be a 45 gallon by dimension it don't mean that it actually holds 45 gallons of water.

45 gallons is correct.

Afraid it is 45 gallons US , 37 imp gals or 170 litres :/
Ā 
Do bear in mind, the substrate, plants and decor will all detract from the water volume, about 10 - 15% is general rule of thumb. So that means in terms of water volume you may actually have around 39 gals US, 32 imp gals or 145 litres give or take.
Ā 
This was all calculated using the forum's calculator -
Ā 
Calculator

I agree on the volume/measurements others mention. Ā But in this instance a few gallons is of less importance as they would make little difference anyway to the fish capable of being maintained in this tank. Ā The dimensions generally are more significant, and they provide the space whether it is the length for swimming or the width for manoeuvrability. Ā In other words, if you are thinking fish numbers (and I've no idea what fish you have or were intending), the difference between 45 and 55, given the dimensions, will not be of any importance.
Ā 
Byron.
Ā 
Edit: Ā Just read your later thread on mollies...your tank will be fine for the intended numbers. Ā The point on water hardness is absolutely critical for the health of mollies; other livebearers aside perhaps from guppies are similarly dependent on minerals in the water, but mollies are especially so and will very quickly deteriorate with various skin problems if the water is on the soft side or slightly acidic. Ā B.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back